Like Tree4Likes

Dependant visa frustrations - please help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The credible advice is get married.

I think what people are trying to say is that you shouldn't have any problem getting a dependent visa, with free accommodation, savings and your wife to be's career as a teacher. She may be applying for a job at the wrong time of year for schools, but she could probably fairly quickly get a job teaching English somewhere reputable given her experience. I think that would be enough to sponsor you on a dependent visa.

HK Immigration writes their rules in relatively clear English (although the rules leave a lot of room for subjectivity)

If your GF is a HK Permanent ID card holder, then you can apply for a dependent visa as spouse. However, approval would still be subject to the requirements below.

Given that your work visa has been denied, you will likely to be subject to extra scrutiny. Especially around the first (genuine relationship) and second (no record to the detriment) items. The Immigration Consultants should have lots of experience on handling this.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...guidebook.html
    An application for admission of a dependant may be favourably considered if:
    there is reasonable proof of a genuine relationship between the applicant and the sponsor;
    there is no known record to the detriment of the applicant; and
    the sponsor is able to support the dependant's living at a standard well above the subsistence level and provide him/her with suitable accommodation in the HKSAR.

The criteria for a dependent visa if one partner is a HK PR is very low. Much lower than for an employment visa. A little bit of money and somewhere to stay will be enough. Your salary is irrelevant - it's her salary OR SAVINGS that would be taken into consideration. If you got a letter from her parents saying you would have somewhere to live I doubt there will be any problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by alco87:
    No, sorry, our UK offices.

I understand that I am limited in my visa through employment as the situation stands. This is why my initial query was reference to the dependant visa.

Can anyone please offer credible advise?

Thanks
    Tried to offer a solution but it was deleted as it was deemed as a promotion of a company. Let me suggest that you type into any search engine Hong Kong Visa Centre Help - you should see many suggestions, one from a company, of whom I cannot mention as it is against the forum rules

The immigration only approves employment visa if the position offered is highly skilled. e.g. Accountant, I.T. Programmer, NET or Academic, Teacher,Managing Director,Musician, Entertainer,FnB Manager,Hotel Exec. or V.P. or Gen. Manager,Engineer,so the best thing to do,specify your job pisition and explain further why the company prefers to hire you instead of available local talent in HK.Reason out that your office in UK requires your transfer to HK for special function e.g. Management.

Last edited by Beth10; 16-08-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth10:
    The immigration only approves employment visa if the position offered is highly skilled. e.g. Accountant, I.T. Programmer, NET or Academic, Teacher,Managing Director,Musician, Entertainer,FnB Manager,Hotel Exec. or V.P. or Gen. Manager,Engineer,so the best thing to do,specify your job pisition and explain further why the company prefers to hire you instead of available local talent in HK.Reason out that your office in UK requires your transfer to HK for special function e.g. Management.
    This is not true. Employment visa's require the skill to be not generally available in Hong Kong - it's not about specific skills. Even a low skill (like being able to speak your native language) is good enough if it fits the job. In any event, it's completely irrelevant since the OP is no longer talking about an employment visa.

The OP is talking about a dependent visa based on a spouse with PR. Unless you are a mainlander, (or sometimes a South Asian) it's almost trivial to get one of these.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 16-08-2013 at 07:48 AM.

I wanted to post a comment to finalise this thread.

Last week my dependant visa was finally accepted. We were given 6 weeks lead time by the HK ImD and it came through in week 5.

For all of those people who are concerened about their visa's - I have been in the same boat. Its a horrible feeling.

My advise would be to wait until your lead-time is up. Usually with dependant visa's it will be 6 weeks. In that 6 week period if more information is required from HKimD then they will ask you for it. I.e - bank statements, housing certificates etc.. If your lead-time is up and there still is no word then make some calls to the HKimD. Find out what the hold up is.

So that's it from me... my visa is through and I will be joining my wife in HK next week to start my new life.

Good luck and best wishes, and also thanks for the advise.

Beanieskis likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2