Like Tree30Likes

Rude Immigration officer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tabletop:
    Well he made me come again, as I said I went to see him 2 days in a row and he picked on me for 2 days. Unless he got up from the wrong side of the bed 2 days in a row... Eitherway, I don't think it's a proper behavior for an immi officer? They aren't supposed to be outright rude to people. The officers I had prior to him were all nice.

Unfortunately, I'm white so I can't bitch-slap the mofo
    Are you 100% sure you got all your document and forms in order? Did you missed any forms to fill? Forgot to fill certain sections? Wrong sized photo? Some of the officers may be pissed they have to pick up your oversight (if indeed that is the case). Or more likely he is pissed that you applied so close to the expiration date (according to him anyway-which may mean more work for him).

Anyway, if, as you say, you were polite to him and everything you supply to the officer was in order, then he should not have treated you poorly. Of course, I guess there may also be an issue of cultural misunderstanding. You may simply have misunderstood his actions as rude when that is just the way he acts. But you said the other guy was polite and professional, so it is likely something wrong with that guy.

For complaints, first step is to contact the immigration department and state your case, as mentioned by Rob2020:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/contact-us.html

If that avenue does not provide a satisfactory answer, you can contact the ombudsman:

http://www.ombudsman.hk/how_to_complain.shtml#lodging
    Last edited by Watercooler; 14-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    tabletop likes this.

I have always had nice ones at immigration tower, but you get shits in all walks of life. I would complain (now you have the extension) and assuming you got his name. If they get a couple of complaints about the same one they may do some "re-education".

carang and Titus like this.

There are some real twats in immigration tower. I've met a couple in my time. Nothing comes of complaining, they'll just say they 'made a mistake with their English'.

Just be grateful you don't have to go back for a while.

Watercooler likes this.

u wanna meet rude immigration officers then go thru american customs... never had such rudeness in my life..

when my missus tried to renew dependant here a few years back they pissed me around on 2nd visit asking me for more docs ( basically they asked for 3 months accounts originally which I had in writing then asked for 6 months when I came back ).,, it made me very angry and i didnt hestitate to let em know i thought they were ineffiecient time wasters and i wasnt what u would call polite.. an wham bam a visa produced 10 mins later..

Watercooler and Titus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    There are some real twats in immigration tower. I've met a couple in my time. Nothing comes of complaining, they'll just say they 'made a mistake with their English'.

Just be grateful you don't have to go back for a while.
    What can you say? They are bureaucrats who can make your life miserable (and knows it). Similar all over the world. Just be glad you don't have to pay a bribe for HK civil servants to do their jobs...most of the time.
    hdosten likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    Surely 10 days before expiry is "within four weeks before the expiry of your limit of stay"?
    Not when the turn around time is 2-3 weeks as stated... methinks.

tabletop
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Are you 100% sure you got all your document and forms in order? Did you missed any forms to fill? Forgot to fill certain sections? Wrong sized photo? Some of the officers may be pissed they have to pick up your oversight (if indeed that is the case). Or more likely he is pissed that you applied so close to the expiration date (according to him anyway-which may mean more work for him).

Anyway, if, as you say, you were polite to him and everything you supply to the officer was in order, then he should not have treated you poorly. Of course, I guess there may also be an issue of cultural misunderstanding. You may simply have misunderstood his actions as rude when that is just the way he acts. But you said the other guy was polite and professional, so it is likely something wrong with that guy.

For complaints, first step is to contact the immigration department and state your case, as mentioned by Rob2020:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/contact-us.html

If that avenue does not provide a satisfactory answer, you can contact the ombudsman:

http://www.ombudsman.hk/how_to_complain.shtml#lodging
    First time I came I forgot to bring photocopy of my husband's ID. But even if I forgot to bring something isn't it his job to tell me what documents I have missed in a calm, professional way instead of tryign to guilt trip me and make drama out of it? I mean he gets paid for that. It's not like he's doing it for me for free and I have failed him lol.
    Watercooler and hdosten like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tabletop:
    First time I came I forgot to bring photocopy of my husband's ID. But even if I forgot to bring something isn't it his job to tell me what documents I have missed in a calm, professional way instead of tryign to guilt trip me and make drama out of it? I mean he gets paid for that. It's not like he's doing it for me for free and I have failed him lol.
    In theory yes, but in reality...not always the case. They expect in practice for you to know what to bring and not to babysit you. I know, their instruction and requirements may not always be clear, but that's how they operate, they expect you to know what to bring. Especially when he also has plenty of other cases to deal with and your application, being close to the expiration means he will have to follow-up more than he would like. Plus the fact you forgot stuff on your part, that means he may be pissed.

I'm not saying he is right to treat you that way and by all means you can go ahead and complain, but at least I can understand the motive for his rudeness. But not justifying it of course.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 14-08-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Sounds a lot like a colleague at work. Perpetually miserable, like someone pissed in his congee. Same shit every damn day. Probably the same deal with your immigration officer.

I would make a written complaint. Word it very carefully, and try not to sound like you are whining. Write it in a way that precludes them saying "oh it was just the English" and if you can, get your husband to fill in some of what was said in Cantonese on the second day. Ideally, either both of you sign it or he can write a letter supporting your story of what he saw when he was there.

I agree with you, no need for bad behaviour by officials and if you don't report them nobody fixes it. Good luck and let us know if you get anywhere.