Like Tree30Likes

Rude Immigration officer

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Rude? the local staff in every british embassy I have ever been in. HK has some crackers. Last time I was there I had to pull up some girl Larry David style. I felt a bit bad in the end but she was incredibly bad mannered to me. What is it about people in such low level jobs inside prestigious companies that breeds such incivility? A bit like shop assistants in designer stores. "You fold clothes pal. That's your contribution to society."

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    What is it about people in such low level jobs inside prestigious companies that breeds such incivility? A bit like shop assistants in designer stores. "You fold clothes pal. That's your contribution to society."
    Oh and you looking down on them is really helping isnt it?

Skyhook and bibbju like this.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    You indeed applied to late and I'd suggest you to eat a bit of humble pie...
    For more information have a look here:
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/faq/extend...dorsement.html
    Q4:Where and when can I submit my application for extension of my visa?
    A4:
    Applications may be made to the Extension Section or any Immigration Branch Offices (except Hong Kong Island Travel Documents Issuing Office) within four weeks before the expiry of your limit of stay.
    ....but what if you have a two week Visa......?

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Not when the turn around time is 2-3 weeks as stated... methinks.
    Then they should state "between three and four weeks before the expiry date".

Our company has a lot of foreigners and doesn't even start sending in the extension applications until 2 weeks before expiry. Has never been an issue, and we submit a *lot*.

It's just a matter of miscommunications between you and the officer due to language barrier. Just keep your calm, he just probably don't know how to explain it to you properly.

Extension of visa can be filed by post or online 2 weeks before it expires. 1st step: Copy your HK ID, Passport not less than 6 months of expiry, Employment Certificate and Contract, Proof of Address, 3 Months Salary Statement. Do not sumbit the original copy. You will receive an acknowledgment letter from the Immigration w/ your application reference after a week of submission. When your visa is ready for collection probably after 2 weeks, you'll be asked to bring all the original documents for verification then after few minutes they will issue your visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth10:
    It's just a matter of miscommunications between you and the officer due to language barrier. Just keep your calm, he just probably don't know how to explain it to you properly.

Extension of visa can be filed by post or online 2 weeks before it expires. 1st step: Copy your HK ID, Passport not less than 6 months of expiry, Employment Certificate and Contract, Proof of Address, 3 Months Salary Statement. Do not sumbit the original copy. You will receive an acknowledgment letter from the Immigration w/ your application reference after a week of submission. When your visa is ready for collection probably after 2 weeks, you'll be asked to bring all the original documents for verification then after few minutes they will issue your visa.
    As it seems she was applying for a dependant visa, and her local Cantonese speaking husband was also there, pretty much most of the above doesn't apply.
    MovingIn07 and tabletop like this.

When I was extending my son's visa, I used to prepare the documents such as photo copy of his Passport with visa page, his HK ID, his Birth Certificate and the Visa extension form (original) and lastly my and my husband's HK ID and our marriage contract, To make it short, whatever is related to my son's application, I made it sure it was photo copied. I submitted it to mail, be it by post or by 2/f Immigration mail box 1 month before my son's visa expiration, addressed to Visa extension section. After 1 week or 2 they sent me notification by post that they are processing my son's visa. Then after 1 week they sent me again a mail confirming my son's visa approval. It usually took 3 wks. The letter stated the date I should present the original documents I've submitted, including my son's original passport in person, after 30 mins to 1 hour, they sticked the visa on my son's passport. 10 days is not really enough for them to process it. The lesson learned here is don't listen to others if they tell you not to copy your documents. Heresay should get you into trouble. I always read the notes in the form and their website rules and regulations when it comes to immigration papers processing. I don't rely to other people. They will just confuse you and give suggestions but they don't really have the basis. Probably, the rude immigration officer thought of you impliedly that you are above 18 already, and thought you should have known it by reading their notes on the forms. That officer was just impatient and don't know how to explain it further and in a civil or diplomatic way. They lack proper training, they were just hired but they were not properly trained.More years of experience with his job will teach him how to handle his position well. But they should be reprimanded. I guess writing a formal complain is not a bad thing to do. I also do it especially to bus drivers with rude attitude. So they will be notififed and reprimanded.Just simply email the immigration complains section and they will reply to you that they will do actions re it.

Last edited by Beth10; 12-09-2015 at 12:56 PM.

Same rudeness you may experience from governments in other developed countries. May or may not due to you coming from a rich or poor country. HK locals also experienced rudeness from HK government officials sometimes.

Racial and or class discrimination maybe a normal culture.

Last edited by Ah MH; 02-10-2015 at 12:15 PM.