Like Tree5Likes

Getting married with a US Citizen, in need of some advices

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting married with a US Citizen, in need of some advices

Well I am a UK (Hong Kong) citizen, and my fiance is a US (Macau) citizen.

We are looking to get married soon, and she wants me to be staying with her in Macau for the time being. I will need to be working there too of course.

Few years later, we are looking to move back to the US for good.

Under these circumstances, we are seeking for advice from fellow geoexpats.

Much appreciated with any help!

Look both ways before crossing the road? What?

getting married with US citizen

Quote Originally Posted by FourCitizen:
    Well I am a UK (Hong Kong) citizen, and my fiance is a US (Macau) citizen.

We are looking to get married soon, and she wants me to be staying with her in Macau for the time being. I will need to be working there too of course.

Few years later, we are looking to move back to the US for good.

Under these circumstances, we are seeking for advice from fellow geoexpats.

Much appreciated with any help!
    1. Check out tax planning for you, any future kids, or if you+future kids will be beneficiaries under anyone's estate or family trusts.

2. Keep any and all evidence that yours is a bona fide marriage (e.g. photos, emails, letters) just in case you get immigration challenges.

3. If you're including any pre-nups, check for validity under the various jurisdictions which may apply in your future life.

4. How well do you know the US? Where in the US will you be living?Do you plan to work outside the home when you move to the US? Prepare for practicalities if you don't already have life/work experience there. (e.g. reactivating any family/friendship networks you may already have in the US, position yourself to be competitive in your field in the US, get any professional qualifications needed etc).
    Last edited by z754103; 26-08-2013 at 09:44 AM.

My advice? I suggest you ask a question!

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    1. Check out tax planning for you, any future kids, or if you+future kids will be beneficiaries under anyone's estate or family trusts.

2. Keep any and all evidence that yours is a bona fide marriage (e.g. photos, emails, letters) just in case you get immigration challenges.

3. If you're including any pre-nups, check for validity under the various jurisdictions which may apply in your future life.

4. How well do you know the US? Where in the US will you be living?Do you plan to work outside the home when you move to the US? Prepare for practicalities if you don't already have life/work experience there. (e.g. reactivating any family/friendship networks you may already have in the US, position yourself to be competitive in your field in the US, get any professional qualifications needed etc).
    Of course, if you don't take my advice all of this will be for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    My advice? I suggest you ask a question!
    i'll ask a question, wtf is UK (Hong Kong) citizen and a US (Macau) citizen?
    virago, kimwy66, cheepo and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Ooh, forgot to say... talk to your fiance before moving back about health insurance coverage! :-) If you forget INXS's advice, you will find that US health costs are high and the 'public' aspects of health care work very differently from HK/UK/Macau.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:

We have been together for almost 8 years back in the states. I came back 2 years ago and she came back with me.

Well of course, we are completely legit on our marriage. Just want to plan well for our future.

We both got our degree back in the states and work and live there for years.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    i'll ask a question, wtf is UK (Hong Kong) citizen and a US (Macau) citizen?
    I hold a UK GBR passport and she holds a US passport, meanwhile I am a PR of HKSAR and she is a PR of Macau SAR. I guess this means we both have dual-citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Well, of course, I am certainly taking any legit advice into consideration.

But look both ways before crossing the road can mean a lot of things to me.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast