Like Tree2Likes

How do I change employer/work visa sponsor?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I change employer/work visa sponsor?

Hi,

Hope someone can shed some light on this. My work visa is
    sponsored by my current employer, whom I'm thinking about
    leaving. However, my employment period with this company
    hasn't exceeded a year yet and I was told that one can only
    switch after a year.

My questions are: 1) Can I change sponsor within a year? If so
    how?
    2) If someone reading this message has done the same thing
    before, I'd like to have some advices.

Thanks!

Emigra

hello

if you leave your current employer you can legally stay in HK until the visa expires but cannot work for anyone else on that employment visa. If you want to work for someone else you will need to do change of sponsorship and apply for an employment visa for the other company. Once it has been approved you can then work for the 2nd company.

Emigra,

Thanks for the reply. So does that mean my current employer
    has no right to terminate my work visa even after I quit?

Your employer doesn't issue your visa - the immigration department does. Your old employer will inform immigration that you have left their employ, but Immigration will not cancel the visa early (this means you could have anything from 1 day to 2 years left on your visa, which seems a bit arbitrary, but that's the way it is).

Your new employer has to make a completely new application for a work visa for you and you may not work for them until that application has been approved (4-6 weeks).

Hi,

when you say that the employer has to make a completely new application for work visa, does it mean that I (the employee) would have to give again all my degrees etc., or does it mean that just the employer has to apply explaining why he needs to hire me, and how he couldn't find a local staff etc.??
    If somebody know or experienced that before, please drop a line,
    Cheers

When I transferred we treated it like a whole new application - copying the certificates again and so on. Since you had to dig them out quite recently it shouldn't be a problem to find them again! My atttitude with HK government departments is to provide all the relevant information they could possibly want and it seems to work quite well - I get employment visas quickly, and seem to pay less tax than I think I should...

Thanks for your reply, I'll see how it goes, will dig my degrees, just annoying to have to be ripped off by "official translators" to get the translations in english certified eh eh, well if it happens I'll make the new company pay ha ha

I changed employers and immigration had copies of all my certificates etc on file and I didnt need to submit them again. The new employer submitted a letter giving details of new job etc and the old employer informed the immigration of my resignation.

Ah cool that s a great news, and makes it much easier.
    Cheers

Me again

Hi,

sorry for reviving that thread again.
    If anybody experienced a sponsor change before, how does it actually work when you process?
    Do you first give one month notice, then start the immigration process? If so, does that mean that, let's say it takes 6 weeks to process and I give one month notice, I have to stop working for 2 weeks, and in the case it is refused I just end up with no job?
    Or do I start the process before giving notice, if it is accepted then I quit and take the new employment, and if refused then I keep on working for the same company?
    This is a headaque, I already turned down 2 job offers ayah.
    Cheers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast