Like Tree1Likes

overseas lawyer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool overseas lawyer

Hi everyone! i was wondering if any of you is a filipino lawyer like me who is contemplating on moving and working in hongkong as a solicitor? what are the procedures in getting a job there? do foreign lawyers get offers without taking the qualifying exams? any tips would be greatly appreciated

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

thanks so much for the info!

Filipino lawyer in Hong Kong

Good day,

I am a Filipino lawyer moving in hong kong this june. any tips or advice regarding job placements are highly appreciated.

best regards.

On what basis are you moving to HK? Do you have a visa that allows you to do this?

Answering the question posed, I would recommend you look at the Hong Kong legal 500. It'll give you a flavour of the firms and the types of law they do. A lot of the lawyers at in the Hong Kong club so if you can find someone who will take you along to the events, it is a very good way to build contacts and hear of job offers.

There are Law Society circulars that give details of jobs, too, so I would recommend calling them.

overseas lawyer

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    On what basis are you moving to HK? Do you have a visa that allows you to do this?
    hi PDLM,

I am moving here under dependent visa.

Best regards

hi luckycat

Thanks a lot for your recommendation.Highly appreciated.

Best regards

Actually, what would make the most sense is to speak with a number of legal recruiters. They can give you a good sense of the current market for lawyers, what work experience and qualifications are required or sought after in this market, whether you are competitive for a position, etc. Without a HK law qualification your options are pretty much limited to the bigger international firms in town, which can be very selective in their hiring. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but this is the reality of the legal market in HK.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    A lot of the lawyers at in the Hong Kong club so if you can find someone who will take you along to the events, it is a very good way to build contacts and hear of job offers.

There are Law Society circulars that give details of jobs, too, so I would recommend calling them.
    Hanging around a building (the HK Club) that houses a couple of law firms out of the many firms in and around Central, hoping to bump into someone who will befriend you and take you to events seems odd to me, although the general networking concept seems a decent idea. A better and perhaps more logical approach to networking would be to attend Law Society and other law related events on your own and meet people. Although to be honest, I've been practicing in HK almost 5 years and have attended maybe 2 Law Society functions in that time - not exactly what most international lawyers in this city spend a lot of their free time doing...

Most positions relayed in Law Society circulars are for HK qualified lawyers, which, presumably, won't apply to the job seeker from the Philippines. A better route is to contact recruiters to see what's out there for someone with your qualifications and experience.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast