Like Tree5Likes

HKID: leniency on the carry at ALL times rule

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HKID: leniency on the carry at ALL times rule

In general I have my wallet with me, so no problems with keeping the id with me. But I run, generally with another person, so I don't carry ID. A few weeks ago on Bowen path there were a fair number of police, and they were stopping people asking for ID--generally non-running, young Chinese males. Curious, if I were stopped and did not have my ID when running: What would happen? Would this be a major issue, or would they be fine to accompany me home to see my HKID?

Yes, need to carry.

See http://www.hklii.hk/eng/hk/legis/ord/115/s17c.html

and http://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/pol...owers/q1.shtml

I think you can be fined up to HK$1000, although depends what a "reasonable excuse" means. Can't you just carry your ID card with your keys in a small bag?

I know several people that have gotten stopped without ID (or claimed they were without), and the police just told them to carry one and gave them some stank-eye. No biggie....

Probably depends on what mood the officer is in. My husband has been stopped without his before and they just told him to carry it next time. I think if you could potentially just be a tourist they don't want to be too dickish about it.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like one of those many gray zones. With the chances of being fined low and assuming most police officers would accept the explanation that I don't bring it with me running, I'm going to take the chance, and if I am stopped and subsequently fined, no complaints. I was forewarned.

As for the suggestion of taking it in a small bag, with the swinging arms, I don't think that will work. I have tried a few of those runners belts but have yet to find one that I like. I have popped ID in the small inner pocket before, but wedging it in and out is a hassle, and several times I've forgotten to take it out--putting it through the wash or forgetting about it for days until I needed ID and didn't have it.

A true note of thanks to all of you who share your advice. As a new arrival, I've ready many of your posts and you have truly helped me settle in and make smarter choices. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Probably depends on what mood the officer is in.
    Depends also if you speak Mandarin only or have a really dark skin.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Depends also if you speak Mandarin only or have a really dark skin.
    Don't you know, Chicomms rule the city now. The Police won't dare to touch any mainland scum. Not good for the career you know...

If you are of dark skin, ALWAYS carry HKID.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using GeoClicks mobile app

usehername likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie1:
    Thanks for the information. It sounds like one of those many gray zones. With the chances of being fined low and assuming most police officers would accept the explanation that I don't bring it with me running, I'm going to take the chance, and if I am stopped and subsequently fined, no complaints. I was forewarned.

As for the suggestion of taking it in a small bag, with the swinging arms, I don't think that will work. I have tried a few of those runners belts but have yet to find one that I like. I have popped ID in the small inner pocket before, but wedging it in and out is a hassle, and several times I've forgotten to take it out--putting it through the wash or forgetting about it for days until I needed ID and didn't have it.

A true note of thanks to all of you who share your advice. As a new arrival, I've ready many of your posts and you have truly helped me settle in and make smarter choices. Thanks!
    I have a tiny purse with a strap which you can put on your arm (or leg). It's about ID card sized and can hold ID, a few notes and a key - great for those times when you really don't want much else. Otherwise, get one of those running shirts with the largish pocket at the back - they are pretty common. I wouldn't leave home without my ID and my octopus and a few notes, just in case of accidents more than anything. If you fall, you need your ID to get free treatment at hospital and some money to get home!
    vmlinuz and hktraveller like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    If you are of dark skin, ALWAYS carry HKID.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using GeoClicks mobile app
    sad but true.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast