Like Tree12Likes

IANG Visa extension in progress, HR says I can overstay on current visa :S

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    For your own piece of mind why don’t you call HKIMM and speak to them yourself. Also, when HR called on your behalf HKIMM may have recorded the query on the system.

Finally, when I was a student in the UK and I applied for renewal of visa, as long as the Home Office receives your application before expiry of visa there is no problem.
    Even here on the student visa, i got a 3 month visa extension on the same day I applied. But that was solely on student conditions. No such scheme for IANG visa :/

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Do not listen to your HR, in my experience dealing with HR depts in HK, not one of them slimy feckers can be trusted
    Hey now, don't tar us all with the same brush, wtbhotia
    wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Hey now, don't tar us all with the same brush, wtbhotia
    Humble apologies, did not know you were HR
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

I did some digging and found this thread sort of similar: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread211998.html

The last comment from gunsnroses is interesting for me:

From what I have seen if you have already applied for extension/transfer of visa, you don't have to exit the country, even if your current visa expires before new visa comes in, but, yes you can't work without visa.
    But they are prob talking about GEP, which is different. If any one has any idea about this..kindly do give me some input

Seriously, your best bet it to go to the immigration department and discuss the issue with them to see whether they can find a temporary solution. Do not believe your HR lady (sorry Fiona) when she says there is no problem, make sure you have a written statement/permit that allows you to stay - only the immigration department can give you this permission, not your HR department.

Last edited by elle; 26-09-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Seriously, your best bet it to go to the immigration department and discuss the issue with them to see whether they can find a temporary solution. Do not believe your HR lady (sorry Fiona) when she says there is no problem, make sure you have a written statement/permit that allows you to stay - only the innigration department can give you this permission, not your HR department.
    That's OK elle, unlike some out there I do represent my employees - I've even been to the detention centre with an overstayer I have worked for years with ID and have never had a bad experience, or at least not one that I couldn't turn around. Like many lines of work, there are the good and the bad. The least she should have done is get something in writing from them, they are very good about that, they'll fax you within minutes - but she probably only went through to the general enquiry line anyway!
    elle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ecy5maa:
    Even here on the student visa, i got a 3 month visa extension on the same day I applied. But that was solely on student conditions. No such scheme for IANG visa :/
    I was in a similar situation as you're. Overstayed one day, as my iang visa came a day after my student visa expiry. Turned back while trying to goto macau as i was told that the system wudnt allow this..At the immd, i was asked to write letter of apology to director of immigration. After two days of processing, i was given 7 day visit visa as a courtesy covering my overstayed days. Then i went on to exit n re enter using iang visa.

If you have applied the iang thro HR, probably the visa will be given as a single entry, assuming ur out of hk. The right way is to apply personally at iang office mentioning ur in hk, then the immd will issue the iang visa covering overstayed days without the need for exit n reentry..

Sent from my N90 using GeoClicks mobile app

UPDATE
    For the benefit of other members, I am updating this thread, and would like to make a new thread too.

So I went to the Immigration department today myself, and I was told by the visa officer in charge that as long as I have the extension application receipt, I can stay in Hong Kong as long as they are making a decision, EVEN if my current visa expires.

In case, the IANG visa extension is refused, then I have one day to leave HK. But if approved then all is OK.

I would like to thank all members here who gave me their valuable advice. Really really appreciate the help

Last edited by ecy5maa; 27-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks for the update Ecy5maa, wish you good luck on your visa.

ecy5maa likes this.