Like Tree4Likes

Dependent Visa = HKID???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dependent Visa = HKID???

Hi, Can someone please help me with the following questions?

1) After getting the dependent visa for my son, do we need to register a HKID for him?

2) Can we enrol our son with dependent visa/HKID into local school? or go to public hospital for small fee?

Many thanks for those who can help.

1) Yes if he is aged 11 or more.

2) Yes

Children can only get a HKID from the age of 11. Before then the passport with dependent visa in it is ok, along with parent's HKID card.

Yes you can enrol your son in a local school, if you can find one that will take him.

Yes you can take him to public hospital and pay the same fee as other residents. You will be required to show your ID when presenting at the hospital.

Thanks Gruntfuttock & Kimwy,

Good to hear that. I was worrying about the cost of private school & hospital fee just in case.

So, dependent visa holder is regarded as HK non permanent resident?

Kim, My son is only 12-mth-old at the moment. Is it very hard to get into the local school?

Quote Originally Posted by minibo:
    So, dependent visa holder is regarded as HK non permanent resident?

Kim, My son is only 12-mth-old at the moment. Is it very hard to get into the local school?
    Correct. Surely school is not something you need to worry about for a couple of years yet? But local public education is available to all.

Quote Originally Posted by minibo:
    My son is only 12-mth-old at the moment. Is it very hard to get into the local school?
    Your son is only 1 year old, dont worry about school yet, around the 3 years age then they can start going to Kindergarten.

hers a fact sheet for you to read about HK Education.

http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/f.../education.pdf

Free local schools up to 12 years age
    minibo likes this.

Except you need to get on the waiting list for the kindergarten that feeds into the primary school that feeds into the secondary school you want your kid to go to.

kimwy66 likes this.

Tangentially related question:

Does a dependent child who has been here 7 years have the right to permanent residence? Someone told me this weekend that a parent (with a foreign passport) has to first get permanent residence after seven years, and then the clock starts from that point for the child. But that didn't sound right to me. Anyone know the specifics of a child getting permanent residence while here on a foreign passport and a dependent visa?

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Tangentially related question:

Does a dependent child who has been here 7 years have the right to permanent residence? Someone told me this weekend that a parent (with a foreign passport) has to first get permanent residence after seven years, and then the clock starts from that point for the child. But that didn't sound right to me. Anyone know the specifics of a child getting permanent residence while here on a foreign passport and a dependent visa?
    No, the timer does not reset for children. You have to supply the parents travel documents / ID with the child's application but there are no requirements other than those for an adult, ie 7 years continuous residence.
    Gruntfuttock and penguinsix like this.

My husband & I are both HK permanent residents living in Australia. As my son was given birth in Australia, he cannot be granted a HK permanent resident status.

We heard that the kindergartens normally start taking K1 enrolment in Sept & Oct each year, so if I want to enrol my son into the 2015 school, we'll need to come back and stay in HK by July - Aug 2014 to get the dependency visa processed and approved. They school doesn't accept travel visa holder to enrol, so I think it's about time to plan for it.

Also, I'm scratching my head whether we should go for local school or international school. Any comment?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast