Work Visa Refused

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Work Visa Refused

Okay, so i'm a 24 year old University graduate from England (lived there all my life) and have a 100-hour online TEFL under my belt. I have no previous teaching experience bar friends and family in HK i practice lessons with for free (five months at it), but i've come from a well educated background; Diploma in I.T and a Higher Diploma in Business Computer Systems. As I found it difficult to get a sponsor in this field in HK, i turned to a TEFL as I thought the eight years spent in education coupled with a TEFL albeit 100-hour online was enough. (Course Details)

Anyway I got lucky and hit it off instantly with the owner of one language center and we signed my contract right away. They were perfectly happy with my educational background and level of teaching knowledge as they provide training. They said they were confident my visa would be granted as they've sponsored well over a dozen people to date. Okay, so two months pass and still no reply from the Immgration board and then last night I get confirmation that my application was refused.

"Under the existing policy, a person seeking to enter HK for employment should possess a "special skill, knowledge, or experience of value that is not readily available in the HKSAR."

"We are not satisifed that your case meets the aforesaid criteria. Your application is therefore refused."

I live with my HK g/f I met in England four years ago (we have proof of living together, etc), but we aren't ready for marriage (á la resident visa) as it's a big thing for her family and they don't want us getting married just for convenience. Her mum is quite ill and as to why we are actually here in the first place. I explained all this to the Immgration with all my details, but to no avail.

So, what do you guys suggest bar the marriage route. I'm stumped and to be honest didn't think it was this difficult to get a work visa. I've already been to Macau once to get an extension.

The language center likes me; I like them, we both find the agreement mutually benefiting, yet the Immigration Department believe i'm not, "justifiable."

Perhaps the points system overules common sense these days?

Perhaps I need to fork out and do a TESOL or CELTYL? I would've thought an online TEFL had some worth; I didn't know if it was worth next to nothing.

As it has also taken so long to get an answer, i'm now 24 days away from my 180 days visitor pass expiring. Granted, not their problem.

Last edited by turnjet; 31-05-2008 at 07:22 AM.

Another thought; what are the possibilities I can get a dependant visa being as my g/f and I have been together for almost four years.

After having a look at other threads like this, it seems highly unlikely if you arent' married.

We have lived together for over three of those years in England.

Last edited by turnjet; 31-05-2008 at 08:29 AM.

May times these applications are rejected just because they don't have the required information. Did you do the application yourself or use an agency?

As per Kia

Maybe you didn't have enough on your C.V etc playing up your training/coaching skills/experience?

Just because they said no this time does not necessarily mean that its end of story.

Did you follow up with them often to check up on the case?

With your original application how many references did you include? Was your cv beefed up?

These things are more important than you may think...

def. don't give up yet, though you won't get a dependant visa as a boyfriend (that is a guaranteed fact). try to extend your stay with another trip to Macau (shouldn't raise eyebrows yet I'd think, and if it does, well you're at the end of your 180 anyway...), polish up your app., and resubmit

as to the 8 years studying, that in no way qualifies you to teach (sorry to say). they're prob. only going to look at your TEFL and any related teaching experience you have had in UK.

Thanks guys, the application was all sorted out by the language center and they forwarded any letters they received to me.

The Immigration department asked for extra information on my TEFL and teaching experience to date. I sent them a reference letter from the TEFL company I did my TEFL with and I also sent them a personal letter about my situation in Hong Kong (as explained in this thread).

The owner said he is looking into how he can appeal, so i'll give him a bell next week to see what he can come up with.

As for the TESOL and CELTYL, do you guys think I should take them ontop of my TEFL? If so, which one?

TESOL
    CELTYL

You need more letters of reference. Try to get some made from any type of teaching or training you did. Perhaps even get some tutoring references for ESL students in the UK. (Even if it may be a slight stretch)

"I have no previous teaching experience"

That may be difficult to get a work permit if you have no experience.

I wonder if you could get a training visa (and still get paid), and then later apply for a working visa.

Quote Originally Posted by SymS:
    "I have no previous teaching experience"

That may be difficult to get a work permit if you have no experience.

I wonder if you could get a training visa (and still get paid), and then later apply for a working visa.
    Do you think a TESOL or CELTYL with their hands on teaching training maybe worthwhile?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast