Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By vmlinuz

Visa

Closed Thread

Visa

Hi, I will be soon relocating to Hong Kong with my partner which got a permanent job with a big company there.
    I know as a "dependent" I will not be able to work or study... Is there any other solution to that?

Thanks

Emiliano

You can both work and study.

Assuming you are actually on a dependant visa.

Assuming that you are not married.

First choice is marry the partner.

If not, then:

To work you need to be sponsored by a company. To study you could get a student visa.

There might be other options like a working holiday visa: http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/hk-visas/index.html

Last edited by drumbrake; 11-10-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Checked previously with a dependent visa I'm not gonna be able to do that. Is there anywhere else I can check?

There is provision for the Immigration Department, at its discretion, to issue "extended visitor's visas" to people who don't qualify for a dependent's visa, but my understanding is that the burden of proof for the genuineness of the relationship is much higher.

Or, if you have marketable skills (and preferably a university degree), then start enquiring about jobs which would enable you to obtain your own employment visa. If you don't want the money/ stress, then the suggestion made in an earlier post to find a full time course here that you'd like to study.

Last edited by chingleutsch; 11-10-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: cross-posted with OP

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano:
    Checked previously with a dependent visa I'm not gonna be able to do that. Is there anywhere else I can check?
    Look here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...guidebook.html

You can't do what? Get a dependant visa?

Emiliano: please be clear. Is your partner a husband or wife of the opposite gender? In other words, are you straight and married?

If the answer is yes (and yes), you should be able to get a regular dependent visa, which would mean you can work, or study, or neither, or both - it's up to you.

If the answer is not yes (and yes), you cannot get a regular dependent visa, but you would still have to get permission from the Immigration Department to stay in Hong Kong with your partner - and it's not certain that you would be able to. In this case, you would probably not be able to work or study without getting your own work (or study) visa...

Right or wrong, this is the way the law and process is in Hong Kong right now.

wtbhotia and MovingIn07 like this.

Thank you very much. All very helpful. 😉