Like Tree5Likes

Claiming Non-Residency in Canada - Would appreciate your opinion

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I did my declaration 20 years ago - so things may have changed.
    In those days, you made the declaration on your very next tax return - it was a simple box and you ticked it with a date.

No matter how it is done, just do it timely...

Hi, I assume you have been in HK for 20 years. I just ask if you moved in HK, did you notify the Canadian tax department on your new home address in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by faifaifai:
    Hi, I assume you have been in HK for 20 years. I just ask if you moved in HK, did you notify the Canadian tax department on your new home address in HK?
    Nope - there was never a requirement to do so and I never told them where I'm going. I just told them, thru the tax form, I'm gone...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Nope - there was never a requirement to do so and I never told them where I'm going. I just told them, thru the tax form, I'm gone...
    I also moved back from CA to HK almost 20 years. Same as you, I simply input on the front page of T1 the date that I became non-resident, but the mailing address I filled in on that T1 is a HK mailing address. So far I have not received any communications from the CRA.

Do you receive any more communications from the CRA (such as letters, forms, etc) during the past 20 years?

Do you receive any more communications from the CRA (such as letters, forms, etc) during the past 20 years?
    They have my old address (my parents live there) but I dont receive anything from them at all.

They dont bug me, I dont bug them - its quite nice

CRA is sometime very chaotic!

Last edited by Quelqu'un; 05-04-2014 at 11:48 PM.

I also moved back from CA to HK almost 20 years. Same as you, I simply input on the front page of T1 the date that I became non-resident, but the mailing address I filled in on that T1 is a HK mailing address. So far I have not received any communications from the CRA.

Did you post any income that you made that year in HK when you declared non-residency with Canada? Or did you just leave that part blank and only put down the date that you left etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Did you post any income that you made that year in HK when you declared non-residency with Canada? Or did you just leave that part blank and only put down the date that you left etc...?
    If you want to test your options, you could download Studio Tax (which is free) and then create two returns. The first where you declare non-residency (it's a tick box) and your income from outside of Canada, and the second where you declare no income. But don't upload your test return to the CRA! There's no Netfile code anymore and if you can submit your tax return right from within Studio Tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Adore:
    If you want to test your options, you could download Studio Tax (which is free) and then create two returns. The first where you declare non-residency (it's a tick box) and your income from outside of Canada, and the second where you declare no income. But don't upload your test return to the CRA! There's no Netfile code anymore and if you can submit your tax return right from within Studio Tax.
    Thanks for your tip Adore! I will check it out I looked at the tutorial and, like you said, it shows an area just for non-residents etc...

I'm just not sure if I should post July 2013 as my departure date, or Jan 2014 as my departure date. I physically LEFT Canada July 2013..... However I didn't decide to stay in Hong Kong for good until Jan 2014.

And plus, I already had filed my claims in 2013 indicating I was still a resident of Canada. So it would be weird if I said I left July 2013 (when I filed my 2013 taxes, I said I was still in Canada in Dec 2013).

Hi all,

Just wanted to provide an update on my initial thread question.

I had called the CRA and they had told me to simply write them a letter indicating my full name, SIN number, new address, and indicate that I am a non-resident, and the exact date of my departure. On the letter, I should also remind the gov't to not ask me for any future tax returns (they said sometimes they tend to still send people letters telling them to file for their taxes, even though they are non-residents).

In any case, hope this information helps others! Cheers!

Peoniess08 likes this.

Hello 7jai,

I am running into the same issue as you and would be grateful if you could advise how did it turn out for you. Did you give your HK address to them and did CRA reply you with a confirmation letter that you are now officially a non-resident?

FYI, I left Canada in Nov 2015. I filed a tax return for tax year 2015 since I worked and lived in Canada before Nov 2015. I have been working in HK since Jan 2016, although I made a visit back to Canada during May 2016.

Now I am looking into my tax issue since April 30, 2017 is coming soon and it's supposed to be the deadline for Canadian tax year 2016.

Very confusing issue, hope you can shed some light. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Hi all,

Just wanted to provide an update on my initial thread question.

I had called the CRA and they had told me to simply write them a letter indicating my full name, SIN number, new address, and indicate that I am a non-resident, and the exact date of my departure. On the letter, I should also remind the gov't to not ask me for any future tax returns (they said sometimes they tend to still send people letters telling them to file for their taxes, even though they are non-residents).

In any case, hope this information helps others! Cheers!