Like Tree5Likes

Claiming Non-Residency in Canada - Would appreciate your opinion

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ballboy:
    I think you are absolutely right. Better to get it done and see what happens.

The issue is that I left Canada in Nov 2015. I did file the tax return for year 2015, but on that tax return I said I was a resident up until Dec 31, 2015, but I actually left Canada in Nov 2015 already.

So now if I inform CRA that I became non-resident in Nov 2015, that is essentially saying I made some slight mistake on my 2015 tax return. Because I am supposed to declare I was resident from Jan to Nov 2015, and then departed Canada in Nov 2015 and subsequently became non-resident in Nov 2015. If I did that correctly in my 2015 tax return, I wouldn't even need to submit a separate letter now to declare I became non-resident in Nov 2015 after I left.

That's why I am a bit hesitated if CRA will stir up any inconsistency issue.
    Just state whatever you stated here in your letter. They'll update your record that you left in November 2015 and won't even bother to send you a response. It's not wrong to make a mistake and there's no punishment for that. Are you aware that there are people who hide millions of dollars intentionally, get caught, come clean, and because they came clean, nothing happens to them? That should give you an indication that your worries are absolutely unjustified.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Just state whatever you stated here in your letter. They'll update your record that you left in November 2015 and won't even bother to send you a response. It's not wrong to make a mistake and there's no punishment for that. Are you aware that there are people who hide millions of dollars intentionally, get caught, come clean, and because they came clean, nothing happens to them? That should give you an indication that your worries are absolutely unjustified.
    Yes I am sending CRA a letter then, and hopefully this can ease my mind.

I am expecting a reply from them though, at least to acknowledge my letter and tell me they have changed my status to non-resident! Otherwise, it's just me sending them a one-way letter, which doesn't really help if they don't reply me!

Hello, I would have a question as well. I just declared as of December 31, 2016 that I was a non resident of Canada. I had an accountant prepare my taxes for me but each time I would ask him a question he was very abrupt and never had the time until finally he said your file is closed and I am not answering you anymore. I also asked him if I needed to complete a NR-73 and he said no and hung up the phone. All I need is professional advice, so I would truly appreciate this kind of advice in this forum. I called CRA and they asked me if I was in the US all of 2016 and I said yes. I have no house because I sold it in 2013 I have my US license and I am in the middle of transfering my car title here as well. My question to you is the following : since I declared my non residency as of December 31 2016 that I was not in Canada will they go beyond 2016 to review my file -- this is the first time I have left Canada and it's a confusing time for me!! Thank you in advance for you much appreciated help!

I am not sure what exactly is the issue you are facing. You mentioned you have already declared your non-residency as of Dec 31, 2016? If so, how did you declare that? By sending a letter to CRA, or declaring that as part of your tax return? Either way, if you are certain that you have declared your residency, then what's the issue now?

I am all new to this non residency thing -- I have declared non resident on my taxes as of December 31 2016 that my accountant prepared now my date of departure was Jan 1 2016 so when I called them I mentioned to them that I was out of Canada all of 2016 -- so really my question is do they go further than 2016 in your taxes? or do they stop at the date that you indicated. Again this is a little confusing for me. Thank you!

Sorry but I still don't get your issue. Typically, after you declare non-residency with CRA, then you become a non-resident and they won't bother you. But this is not always the case, there is a chance that CRA will still send you a letter and demand you to file a tax return. If you receive that letter, then just reply them you are still a non-resident. Therefore, I am still very confused on your issue. If your date of departure is Jan 1, 2016, then you should file a tax return for year 2016 to state that your left Canada on Jan 1, 2016. Jan 1, 2016 will then become the date you become non-resident. So I am not sure why you mentioned Dec 31, 2016. Did you mean Jan 1, 2017?

If you declared your non-residency properly. Then I don't know what are you worrying about. Unless you still have ties with Canada, which means you are not really a "non-resident"? If that's the case, if you receive that demand tax return letter from CRA, you may face issue since you will fail to prove that you were in fact a "non-resident". Is that your concern?

I'm not sure what you mean by properly declaring my non residency? My accountant completed my 2016 taxes and he declared that I was a non resident from December 31 2016 and then he said to me that he doesn't know how far back CRA goes to review your taxes? Let me say it another way, I found an account through a friend that had experience with international taxes. So he did my taxes for 2016 declaring me a non resident that is all I never filled out a form NR-73 because my accountant said I didn't need to. He tells me that he is closing my file and to have a good life. What kind of a professional says that? All I want to know by declaring a non resident on my taxes is that sufficient enough to the CRA as being a non-resident. I still have my bank account in Canada, should I change my address? I am still using my plates on my car but I just recently switched my license to US and now I am working on doing the same thing to my plates but everything takes time. it's a long process to go through. I am just worried that CRA will be looking beyond my 2016 taxes to try and get me to pay something. I have no ties to Canada, I sold my house in 2013, I got married in the US too and that was in 2016. I don't have Medicare and now I don't have a license, so I really just worried that is all. You input is so much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Peoniess08:
    I'm not sure what you mean by properly declaring my non residency? My accountant completed my 2016 taxes and he declared that I was a non resident from December 31 2016 and then he said to me that he doesn't know how far back CRA goes to review your taxes? Let me say it another way, I found an account through a friend that had experience with international taxes. So he did my taxes for 2016 declaring me a non resident that is all I never filled out a form NR-73 because my accountant said I didn't need to. He tells me that he is closing my file and to have a good life. What kind of a professional says that? All I want to know by declaring a non resident on my taxes is that sufficient enough to the CRA as being a non-resident. I still have my bank account in Canada, should I change my address? I am still using my plates on my car but I just recently switched my license to US and now I am working on doing the same thing to my plates but everything takes time. it's a long process to go through. I am just worried that CRA will be looking beyond my 2016 taxes to try and get me to pay something. I have no ties to Canada, I sold my house in 2013, I got married in the US too and that was in 2016. I don't have Medicare and now I don't have a license, so I really just worried that is all. You input is so much appreciated!
    You left Jan 1, 2016. That means for the 2015/2016 tax year you qualify as resident. For the 2016/2017 tax year you qualify as non-resident, which your accountant declared on your tax return. So that's it. From now on you're a non-resident. Now go enjoy your life and stop stressing. Your accountant is right.
    Peoniess08 likes this.

Thank you all so very much -- now I will not worry.