Like Tree12Likes

Does one return the old HKID when applying for a permanent HKID?!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does one return the old HKID when applying for a permanent HKID?!

A bit embarrassing, but I opened my wallet today and could not find my HKID.

I had applied for a permanent HKID a couple of weeks ago, i.e., I have that paper with me that says "Acknowledgement of Application for a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card" after having gone through the formalities and smiling wide for a new photo, et al, and I am supposed to collect the new card very soon.

Now, I cannot remember if, as part of the process, I had handed over my old HKID?! So, er, did I hand it over or did I lose it?! I would appreciate if anyone remembers the process. I searched online, but I did not find it mentioned very clearly.

Yes.
    The piece of paper is the temporary one.
    Your new ID number is on it

Last edited by Morrison; 30-10-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    MandM! and jrkob like this.

Did you have to return the old HKID on the day they gave you the temporary paper one? Or did you keep both the old HKID + temporary paper one?

Yes. No.

Thank you! Whew!

You don't get a new ID number. It remains the same. But you have to return your ID against the paper.

Last edited by hktraveller; 30-10-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    MandM! likes this.

That is correct, my bad.
    I just remembered sumting had changed...it's the date of issue on the ID card....
    That was actually important to me, as it was someone special's bday.

Last edited by Morrison; 30-10-2013 at 09:42 PM.

I made the same blunder today, when i returned home i couldnt find it and thought i lost it :P

I also noticed this last month. After doing fingerprint and taking photo for the new card, the last step is to go to a guy who verifies your data, re-checks your fingerprint, and issues you a paper temporary ID with a date to return to collect the final one. At this stage, you give him your old HKID, then he gives you the temporary paper but does NOT give you back your old ID. He also doesn't tell you so later on you need to rack your brain to figure out whats going on. I was actually going down the escalators when it hit me, I thought about going back and asking for my old ID but since I'm Aussie I thought 'nak fuck it, she'll be right'. Two weeks later went back to pick up the final card with no issues whatsoever.

Yanntran likes this.

Thanks for the very detailed and clear answer bdw. The last officer who took my fingerprints and kept my old card never notified me he did so. Maybe they should put some sort of warning or give some training?
    I too was happy to get my card and was kicking myself in the b... for applying for a new card and not being able to get it because i lost the old one sigh...

bdw likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast