Like Tree25Likes

Mainland marriage 'approve' in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Mainland marriage 'approve' in Hong Kong?

Hi there.

Looks like a great forum hope to get some serious answers here.

I'm a Hong Kong permanent ID holder with a Dutch passport. My husband is a Mainland Chinese passport holder, we got married in China. I want to know:

1. Can we get our marriage 'approved' or 'legalised' in Hong Kong (or whatever it's called ?_? ).

2. If our marriage is 'approved' by Hong Kong government, can my husband get a Hong Kong ID card?

Or...should we just thought about this earlier and got married in HK instead... ==

Help is much appreciated!
    Thanks. H.N.

2. He has to apply for immigration to HK. With a quota of 150 persons per day that are allowed to immigrate from Mainland to HK the average waiting time is 5 years. It might be faster for him to emigrate to Holland and once he got right of abode there apply for immigration to HK.

Some more info: http://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/imm...dents/q1.shtml

your spouse will obtain a two way permit which will have to renewed every 3 months for next 5 years at his home town, then entitled for permanent id card

or you immigrate to Holland first for few years, then come to here when he gets dutch passport

Where you got married makes no difference, by the way. The only thing that can make a difference is your husband securing right of abode in another country (presumably The Netherlands in your case).

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Where you got married makes no difference, by the way. The only thing that can make a difference is your husband securing right of abode in another country (presumably The Netherlands in your case).
    As that would require that both live in the Netherlands, the Gambia route (or Philippines) might be easier if still possible.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 06-11-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    ...then entitled for permanent id card
    Are you sure? I have a friend who got an ID document instead of a passport. So I believe her ID card would not be permanent yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    Are you sure? I have a friend who got an ID document instead of a passport. So I believe her ID card would not be permanent yet.
    yes, I know a villager who has a mainlander spouse, for 5 years ( my mother looked after their 1 year old son over period of time) she has to renew her two way pass in china every 3 months , they got married in mainland, eventually after living in HK for 5 years she received a permanent hk id card with right to abode

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Can you rephrase this? Not sure i understand what u mean. Marrying in China secured my husbands right to abode, presumably in The Netherlands? Why?

Us marrying in HK would that've given my husband the right to stay in HK?
    Last edited by Hairy Noodles; 14-11-2013 at 11:14 PM.

No. It does not matter where you got married - your husband doesn't have the right to reside in Hong Kong and can't get a HKID card except by joining the queue of 150 people per day. That queue is several years long.

However, if you moved with your husband to the Netherlands he could perhaps get permanent residence there quite quickly. As soon as he has permanent residence in another country then he would be eligible for a Dependant Visa in HK and hence a HKID card.

By marrying you your husband will not get the right of abode in Holland. He has to apply for Dutch citizenship and one of the hurdles is proficiency in Dutch for which he need to pass exams. Marrying in Hong Kong will not give him right of abode in Hong Kong neither.

Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast