Like Tree1Likes

BN(O) to British Citizenship advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What's your other nationality?

Quote Originally Posted by levitron:
    Thanks Gruntfuttock! Your responses have been really helpful.

Spouse visa is quite expensive and difficult to achieve for us financially (since she would be sponsoring me and she doesn't work full time).

It is quite sad that even though my own parents (as well as my grandfather) serviced the British government for many years, they do not get to have any sort of British recognition.
    yes the new rules require her to be earning something like 18000hkd per month. the enormous visa cost is likely to go up and then there is the cost of nationalisation and they are also looking to introduce nhs deposits

Quote Originally Posted by dipstick:
    yes the new rules require her to be earning something like 18000hkd per month. the enormous visa cost is likely to go up and then there is the cost of nationalisation and they are also looking to introduce nhs deposits
    18,600 GBP per annum, to be exact. This is equivalent to 231,379.93 HKD per annum.

If you do not satisfy this requirement as a sponsor, you do have the option to rely on savings. However, the amount you need is quite high and you need to be in possession of it for 6+ months....the requirements go on and on...

When I was young I was moved to one of the North American countries. Though this was done, I was not a citizen of that country when I received my BNO.

Thanks Gruntfuttock! Your responses have been really helpful.

Spouse visa is quite expensive and difficult to achieve for us financially (since she would be sponsoring me and she doesn't work full time).

It is quite sad that even though my own parents (as well as my grandfather) serviced the British government for many years, they do not get to have any sort of British recognition.
    is the whole purpose of bn (o) is cheap and easy visa to UK, after this expires renew the visa in UK, which I know many friends have tried and it's not expensive

a spouse visa for a non uk passport holder is very expensive is a different matter, but are you sure you need this to enter uk and live there

look at this thread which suggest that you don't need a spouse visa if you have a bn (o)

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/52/thread4625.html

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    look at this thread which suggest that you don't need a spouse visa if you have a bn (o)

I don't think that's what the BNO will offer. Although I wish it did!

That thread is also 8 years old!

"It is quite sad that even though my own parents (as well as my grandfather) serviced the British government for many years, they do not get to have any sort of British recognition."

Mahatma Gandhi figured that out during a short but memorable train ride^^

From what u wrote I assume you have Chinese nationality.
    And you are here as a Chinese national n dont need to come back every three years.

I don't think that's what the BNO will offer. Although I wish it did!

That thread is also 8 years old!
    have you asked uk immigration to confirm ? surely an email to them is easy option to find out and could save you a lot of money
    I know a friend who was a bno holder, married a uk citizen, did not had to take expensive spouse visa

I know another friend who wife is from china, had to take a spouse visa and expensive solicitor fees when entering uk

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:

Where does it suggest that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2