Like Tree9Likes

Need advise on working visa for non-graduates

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need advise on working visa for non-graduates

Hi Everyone,

I managed to have a really promising interview with one of the VP-s of a HK based subsidiary of a Chinese state owned shipping company without a position have been advertised by them. On the interview I`ve been told that if immigration says ok I`ll have the second round and probably the job too. After 2 weeks of waiting the immigration has came back with a negative answer to them. I`m not sure how the company`s HR approached the immigration services. Also the bottleneck of my application is that I don`t have a uni degree.
    Does someone has experience with similar cases recently and can advise me what should I do next please? It`s a really promising position and I wan`t to get it fixed.

Many thanks!

Was a reason given?
    How much experience do you have?

Hi Jimbo,

No reason given (at least for me). I have 5.5 years experience working in UK in freight forwarding and specialized shipping business with extensive worldwide network and about 7 years in various sales and marketing related in EU. Speaking English, German and Hungarian.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There are some non-degree holding Geoexpat members who, I believe, managed to get employment visas. So it's not necessarily a problem. Does the company have proof it tried to fill the position locally? Has it sponsored visas previously? (I realise you may not be able to answer this questions, but there are many reasons why an application is refused.)

I think you are correct in assuming the issue is a lack of university degree.

Without being familiar with your field, I think any potential employer will have to show that you have unique skills and experience not obtainable locally - could your language skills be incorporated in your job description?

Hey Claire,

It wasn`t an open position before I`ve approached them. My CV caught the attention of the VP and so I`ve been invited for the interview. I`m not even sure that they submitted the application properly I`ve been only told that they will ask the immigration dept first.

The problen is likely to be they didn't advertise the position locally. The company has to show they can't find a local to do it before immd will say yes.

chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro:
    Hi Everyone,

I managed to have a really promising interview with one of the VP-s of a HK based subsidiary of a Chinese state owned shipping company without a position have been advertised by them. On the interview I`ve been told that if immigration says ok I`ll have the second round and probably the job too. After 2 weeks of waiting the immigration has came back with a negative answer to them. I`m not sure how the company`s HR approached the immigration services. Also the bottleneck of my application is that I don`t have a uni degree.
    Does someone has experience with similar cases recently and can advise me what should I do next please? It`s a really promising position and I wan`t to get it fixed.

Many thanks!
    Why don't you just contact HR and ssk them directly. You have nothing to lose and may be a good thing as they see you are still interested. There could be a variety of reasons or they simply changed their minds.

I see but it doesn`t make too much sense... I`m able to create an opportunity for myself with a major Chinese company and it`s not good enough for the Immigration dept?

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro:
    I see but it doesn`t make too much sense... I`m able to create an opportunity for myself with a major Chinese company and it`s not good enough for the Immigration dept?
    Nope - the priority is jobs for local people. Just like most governments everywhere
    Khema, emx, chingleutsch and 1 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast