Dependent visa for a Chinese National with PR overseas?

Closed Thread

Dependent visa for a Chinese National with PR overseas?

I'm a Canadian that has a Right to Land in HK. I'm planning to look for a job in HK and then move there. If I can find a job in HK, I would like my wife and baby to come with me.

My baby is Canadian while my wife is a Chinese National with a PR in Canada. We married in Canada and have been married for many years.

Is it easy to get a dependent visa approved for my wife and child? Do I need to make a certain amount for the monthly salary? Do I need to have a certain amount of savings in a HK bank? Do I need to already have been working in HK for a certain amount of time before applying for a dependent visa?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

As long as your wife has resided overseas for more than 12 months, and has either permanent residence or a Canadian passport then it should be no problem. http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...hinese.html#18

You need to be able to show you can support your wife and child with your earnings.

So you either need a job offer showing 20k HKD per month, or substantial savings in your name. If you have those then I assume you can apply for the dependent visa before you come. Someone else here may know the savings amount required.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my wife has a Canadian Permanent Residence card for many years now so I'm glad that should be no problem.

Anyone else here might know what would be a substantial or sufficient amount of savings? 100k HKD? 200k?

Do you know if the chances of approval are similar whether I apply before I come or after I arrive? I don't mind arriving first but many apartments rent for at least 1 year and if my wife doesn't get approved, then that's a waste of 1 year of rent.

120k or 140k is the threshold that goes tax free for people who derive income from labour, each year it's a few 10k more. So as you are a family of 3 I would guess 200-250k in a savings account should do fine, it can support you for 2 years.

Or perhaps HK$ 120-140k is also fine with Immi as it gives you a year to find a job

Last edited by Morrison; 19-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

We hear different things about savings/salary. Ballpark seems to be salary $20K+ pm and savings $200K+. The savings must not be in spouse's name only, or parents' names (yes, that has been asked before). Or 'borrowed' - ImmD will check that the money didn't suddenly appear in your account.

Basically enough to live off for a year. You need to show you/your family won't be a 'burden' on Hong Kong, not that's there's a whole lot of government handouts here.

Look for short-stay serviced apartments to give you flexibility regarding accommodation. Frees up time to job hunt too.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The savings must not be in spouse's name only, or parents' names (yes, that has been asked before).
    Would it be better if the savings should only be in the sponsor's bank account or a joint account between the husband and wife? Or either option wouldn't matter?