HK work visa without a job offer?

Closed Thread

HK work visa without a job offer?

Is it possible to obtain a work visa in HK without having a job offer?

I am a UK finance professional with a degree and over 10 yrs experience. I have previously worked in Hong Kong (over 10 yrs ago). I am interested in returning to the region and just starting initial research.

Thanks in advance

No it isn't (unless you have previously completed at least 12 months of undergraduate or postgraduate study in HK).

(There's also a Working Holiday Visa but you need to be under 30 and hold an eligible passport (for which British is not one) to get one of those.)

You might not even need a visa if you were ever a PR in hk. Did you ever obtain pr status?

Thanks both, I appreciate the quick response.

No, I did not obtain a PR as I was only in HK for 9 months (2002-3). Thanks for pointing out the QMAs programme though by the looks of it it's very low probability for someone with my profile.

What kind of investment is required for the other schemes? And do you just have to show that you have the money or actually need to capitalize an HK corporation?

For QMAS you need enough money, in your name, to show you can support yourself for a year. I believe this figure is around HKD 240,000.

For the investment scheme it is significantly more, and there are very strict requirements. And apologies, I linked the wrong one - http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...guidebook.html is the correct one. for this you need a minimum of HKD 10 million, and the ability to show your investment will make a significant contribution to the Hong Kong inductry you are looking to invest in.

As for the QMAS, the success rate is about 10%. But bear in mind that the only cost for applying is $160 HKD. Therefore it attracts a lot of 'give it a shot' applicants who are probably grasping at straws. I think you need around 110 points to be in with a chance, but I stand to be corrected on that one.

As it is free, and if you feel you can come up with at least 110 points, there is nothing to lose in trying. Also, I have heard of people possibly getting it with less points. Guess it depends on the pool at the time of the decision committee meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    As for the QMAS, the success rate is about 10%.
    I think you need around 110 points to be in with a chance, but I stand to be corrected on that one.
    What are you basing either of these statements on? I'm not aware of any public stats about applications vs. approvals vs. grants, nor any information about the scores of successful applicants...

The approvals estimate of 10% was one I made - it seems that applications are numbered sequentially from 0001 each year, they reached almost 4000 last year, and around 100 are granted each quarter. This comes from the quareterly approval lists on the ImmD website.

It's very rough and ready, but it gives some idea.