Notice for interview after ROA/RTL approved

Closed Thread

Notice for interview after ROA/RTL approved

I just received word from my relative in HK that I've been asked to go to an interview at the Immigration Dept and bring some original documents.

I read somewhere that this can be postponed to some time later. Right now it's scheduled in two weeks time, I won't be able to make it to HK in that timeframe. I'm planning to go to HK again next year though.

Has anyone had some experience with this?

I don't want to go through the re-application progress again if anything goes wrong.

The problem you have is that the application for ROA/RTL states that you must be in Hong Kong when you make the application. (Q2 in the FAQ). From which "You MUST BE in Hong Kong at the time of application. Applications from overseas will NOT be entertained." (their emphasis).

So you are clearly breaking the rules with this application - it's up to you whether you wish to maintain the deception and fly in again or 'fess up and do it again properly later if and when you are in Hong Kong.

I already submitted the ROP145 when I was actually IN Hong Kong earlier this year, and it was approved (received notice after I left).

I was referring to the interview in the stages after that, if it can be somehow delayed (and if so, how much) until my next visit to HK.

That's shouldn't be a problem. I have a BBC friend who left and found out she was approved a few weeks after she went back to the UK when she applied. She was able to come back the following year and continue her application from there.

I would just call the immd and let them know that you're unable to attend the interview and tell them you'll continue the formalities next year. My little brother wasn't in Hong Kong when we our applications got approved so I went to the interview on his behalf also. The immigration officer just said to bring the letter quoting the reference number and he'll be able to have his temp ID when he comes back.

By the way, did you get ROA or RTL ?

Last edited by Aritaurus; 16-06-2008 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aritaurus:
    That's shouldn't be a problem. I have a BBC friend who left and found out she was approved a few weeks after she went back to the UK when she applied. She was able to come back the following year and continue her application from there.

I would just call the immd and let them know that you're unable to attend the interview and tell them you'll continue the formalities next year. My little brother wasn't in Hong Kong when we our applications got approved so I went to the interview on his behalf also. The immigration officer just said to bring the letter quoting the reference number and he'll be able to have his temp ID when he comes back.

By the way, did you get ROA or RTL ?
    My relative just emailed me a copy of the letter received. It says I got RTL because I'm non-Chinese (which is funny because I'm ethnic Chinese, but I understand how the Chinese nationality law works) and wasn't settled in HK immediately before July 1, 1997, nor settled in the 18 months after July 1, 1997, and I haven't been back in HK every 36 months.

Interestingly, it said that the verification of original documents can be done either in person or by proxy. So maybe someone can do this for me on my behalf, which would be convenient so I can get the ID card immediately on my next visit.

I'm going to call regardless though just to get a few more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:
    My relative just emailed me a copy of the letter received. It says I got RTL because I'm non-Chinese (which is funny because I'm ethnic Chinese, but I understand how the Chinese nationality law works) and wasn't settled in HK immediately before July 1, 1997, nor settled in the 18 months after July 1, 1997, and I haven't been back in HK every 36 months.

Interestingly, it said that the verification of original documents can be done either in person or by proxy. So maybe someone can do this for me on my behalf, which would be convenient so I can get the ID card immediately on my next visit.

I'm going to call regardless though just to get a few more details.
    By non-Chinese, they mean non-PRC Citizen. Anyways, just send the original documents to a relative and have them come in for the interview. That's what I did for my little brother. Once the documents are verified, they will give you a letter to bring down to the HKID issuing department so they can have your thumb prints and photo taken. Just bring that letter the next time you come back and you should be able to get your temp ID right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Aritaurus:
    By non-Chinese, they mean non-PRC Citizen. Anyways, just send the original documents to a relative and have them come in for the interview. That's what I did for my little brother. Once the documents are verified, they will give you a letter to bring down to the HKID issuing department so they can have your thumb prints and photo taken. Just bring that letter the next time you come back and you should be able to get your temp ID right away.
    Oooh, that's fabulous, then I guess I'll probably get my relative to do this for me if possible.

It said that I'll have to bring the passport as well, does this mean I'll also get the RTL endorsement in it as well? Despite me not even being there.

It's not that important, but it would be cool if can enter HK next time in the HK residents line, for the sake of it because I can, haha.

It feels good to have this (almost) done.