Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gruntfuttock

Same Sex Couples in HK (again!)

Closed Thread

Same Sex Couples in HK (again!)

Hello All

New here. Realise this issue has been hammered. But I can't seen anything current.

My partner has a potential work offer in HK. I know there are heavy rules regarding the fact that I'm not a 'spouse' or even have the same rights as a male/female LTR.

My obvious preference is to apply for work prior to arrival and get a sponsored visa too.

But...that's a long shot given the time. So some questions, if anyone would be kind enough to answer:

Has anyone experience or knowledge of a dependent visa being granted to a male/male couple (I read of one case through the bank UBS)?

Can I apply for the various visa schemes in parallel (extended tourist visa/quality migrant visa, dependent) or is it one at a time?

Can tourist visas be converted to employment/permanent visas once in situ?

There's ALOT of info on the net for this topic but it seems suspiciously vague.

Any other tips/advice is gratefully received.

Cheers!

Nothing has changed from the dozens of times this has been discussed her previously. Even 10 year old threads are still applicable.

I have never heard of a dependant visa being granted for a same sex couple. Do you have a link?

You can only apply for one visa type at a time as far as I know, but once, say, an extended visitor is granted you can apply for a QMAS. I see no grounds on which you could apply for a dependent (nor can m/f couples unless they are legally married; I believe there have been one or two cases where "civil union" type arrangements have worked for m/f couples where lawyers have managed to persuade ImmD that they were equivalent to marriage in whatever legal system they were granted).

Yes you can apply for an employment visa in situ, although ImmD might slap your wrist for doing so.

If you are under 30 and hold a passport from one of the eligible countries then you could get a Working Holiday Visa to get you through 12 months and maybe get sponsored for a full employment visa during that time.

kimwy66 likes this.

Thanks for the speedy concise response. Pretty much as I thought.

Apologies, can't find the link. But then again, I've read so much on this topic I may been mistaken; started seeing what I wanted to see!

http://www.scmp.com/article/973061/v...es-gay-couples

This talks about the granting of prolonged visas to same sex couples. Note the language used - prolonged visitor visa is not the same as a visitor visa extension.

Will be interesting to see if you are granted one. I myself have wondered if it is myth or fact, having been refused when in a long time relationship with a 6 year old child, despite reading that it was a possibility for heterosexual relationships. Of course I had the option to throw my principles away and just get married, which I did.

Maybe it all depends which way the winds are blowing the day you apply. Hope they are blowing in your favour when you apply

Quote Originally Posted by thedriver:
    Thanks for the speedy concise response. Pretty much as I thought.

Apologies, can't find the link. But then again, I've read so much on this topic I may been mistaken; started seeing what I wanted to see!
    While Grunt is arrogant and a know it all about nothing. One thing he does do pretty accurately is Immigration matters. What he didnt add was there is a prolonged visitor visa and i have been lead to believe that its purpose is for gay couples.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

If you are considering -- perhaps even because it's your only option -- to come here on a prolonged visitors visa (without the right to work), then do consider how you will feel. I know from my own experience that it's very difficult to adjust living in a society where you're not allowed to work (not HK though). I also know of a gay couple who came to HK with a similar situation and the partner has found it difficult, although that's partly because of a language/education barrier as English is not his first language. Relationships can/do survive this, but it can be tough! Best of luck getting a visa.

Be aware also that on a visitor visa (long or short term) you don't have access to the public health care system, so you'll probably want insurance.