Like Tree3Likes

What happens if you loose a visa label before taking the plane to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

bibblu:

No because I have a visa free period of 90 days in Hong Kong, so I can go there without a visa, but if I want a visa while I'm there I have to re-enter, which is quite funny I think. But maybe someone could enlighten me. It does not seem to make any sense at first sight.

The reason why you go studying in another country is exactly because you want to see the ways of other cultures an experience something new. The bad sides and the good sides. That is the whole point of traveling, so what on earth are you on about?

I would not say that activating the visa is simple, so let us just agree to disagree. Maybe it is simple to take a ferry to Macau and back, but could you think of a way that would be even more simple? I sure could

Last edited by SimonR; 14-12-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    However, in the example you give above, you would be living in HK illegally as you can't live here without a valid visa (or permanent resident status).
    Or Right to Land / Unconditional Stay.
    Yes I'm being pedantic.

Original Post Deleted
    Here is another waste of time with zero logic in it.

A Canadian individual (normally entitled to 3 month tourist visa) comes to HKG on a 2 year contract and a 2 year work visa. After 1.99 years, just before he is due to stop work, he decides he'd like to stay here an extra 2-3 weeks to clearup his affairs and relax a bit. He goes to IMMD and asks:
    1) Can I extend my work visa for 3 weeks so I can just hang out? The answer is No, you dont have a valid contract so you cant have work visa extension.
    2) Can I please have a tourist/visitor visa for 3 months (per normal practice) so I can hang out for a few weeks? The answer is No, that can only be granted at the border.

So he had to leave town on the day of his work visa expiry, go to Macau and have a nice dinner, waste time past midnight (so the work visa was fully expired) and then come back to get a fresh visitor visa.
    He was told explicitly that if he came back before midnight, while work visa was still valid, he would not be given anything special and the visa would expire at midnight as normal....

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    The lift from 1/F departure level goes to sea level. from there there are lift s to 2/F, arrival level (In HK China City that is). The question is if you will run into problems without a Macau or China chop in the passport.
    not a problem, i did this once (a few years back though)
    SimonR likes this.