Like Tree4Likes

On dependant visa and divorced a year before permanent residency?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I have absolutely no knowledge on this, but would not immig be suspicious when someone marries a HK pr, gets a dependent visa then gets divorced as soon as they get pr status?
    Why? They are eligible for pr because they lived in hk for 7 years, not because they married a pr.

Suppose it is just the fact that I knew of people who had paid for marriages with the intention of getting divorced after 7 years. I hasten to add I am not implying the OP is in this category. I was just thinking immig might have suspicious minds though there is nothing they could do about it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HKHK154:
    how can it be nothing at all
    Ask immigration. For me 2 forms and job done.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I have absolutely no knowledge on this, but would not immig be suspicious when someone marries a HK pr, gets a dependent visa then gets divorced as soon as they get pr status?
    What people do (of their marriage) after being granted a permanent ID is irrelevant to immigration obviously.

Applying for PR (in general) is one of the simplest thing to do. All I had to do (waw on work visa) was fill in a form and submit a copy of my tax receipts. Thats all.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Ask immigration. For me 2 forms and job done.
    I guess they have the electronic records of when and how long you were in HK. If you had spent a decent amount of time outside of HK I guess you'd have to document more, right?

I don't doubt you but just trying to work out their thinking / procedures etc.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by HKHK154:
    I guess they have the electronic records of when and how long you were in HK. If you had spent a decent amount of time outside of HK I guess you'd have to document more, right?

I don't doubt you but just trying to work out their thinking / procedures etc.
    An impossible task, doomed to failure.
    jaykay and Fiona in HKG like this.

How would the immigration deal if my sister divorced and then remarried straight after to a HK guy. She has been seeing this other guy and he is willing to help her stay in Hk.

I would think that if your current visa brings you thru 7 years that you can apply for PR as meeting the 7 years. However, if the visa expires prior to 7 years, an extension would not be granted to a divorcee. Alternatively, one could try another visa, student, employment, investment, etc.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    How would the immigration deal if my sister divorced and then remarried straight after to a HK guy. She has been seeing this other guy and he is willing to help her stay in Hk.
    Assuming your sister would be marrying this man and applying for a dependant visa, ImmD would want proof that the marriage is genuine and could follow up with the couple even after the visa has been granted to ensure the marriage is genuine.

The visa expires as soon as the divorce is finalised? As she and her boyfriend are only starting to think about living together, they have no proof of a relationship.

My sister could apply for a work visa as she is an English teacher but she was already denied 5 years ago as she only has a higher diploma and teaching certificates.

What would be the best course of action?