Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By pariah

Application for second UK Passport?

Closed Thread

Application for second UK Passport?

Hi

I am a UK national resident in HK.

I will need a second passport for various visa applications (Russia, KStan, Ukraine, Mongolia) that have to be made in London whilst I am in HK. I therefore need a second passport. I have held one before but it expired last year.

Overseas issue of UK passports has been withdrawn as far as I can gather and centralised back to the UK using an online system (the splendidly mistitled Gov.UK) or via the Post Office, presumably as a cost cutting exercise although this doesn't appear to have prevented significant increases in passport fees.

My initial contact with the UK Consulate here was less than helpful. I eventually got through the automated phone/voicemail system on the third attempt to somebody whom I can only assume was in the wrong building at the time, as they appeared to know less than half of what I had gathered from ten minutes on the internet.

It would appear that I need to apply in the UK for a second passport somehow. However I am unable to find any guidance on Gov.uk, any method of doing so under the online passport application system or obtain passport application forms from the local consulate.

I realise I'm coming across like Victor Meldrew here, but that's the effect that 30 minutes trying to get an answer out of the Consulate can have on an individual here.

Anybody done this recently who is able to advise as to how one deals with this?

Last edited by pariah; 15-01-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Can you not just apply to renew the recently expired passport in the normal way?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Can you not just apply to renew the recently expired passport in the normal way?
    No. Firstly it is in the UK and secondly you can't renew second passports anymore. You have to apply each time for a second passport from what I can gather.

None of this comes from either Gov.uk or the Consulate by the way. They don't seem to know.

Have you considered naturalising here? It may well be easier in the long run, and you wouldn't need visas for some of those places!

OK for anybody else who might need this, I received an email from the UK advisory line:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Her Majesty's Passport Office will only issue second passports for extensive business travel or extensive business travel to incompatible countries.

Your application will be reviewed by the Passport office for eligibility.

To obtain a second passport your application must be supported by a letter from a Senior Manager by whom you are employed detailing the necessity for this passport. This letter must be on company headed notepaper.

If you are self employed a letter from a client, on company headed paper, explaining why a second passport is required should accompany the application.

If you have already been issued with a second passport and wish to renew either your original or second passport you must support your application with a letter from your employer/client detailing the necessity for two passports.

In order to apply you must complete the Identity and Passport Service application form. This can be obtained from
    www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

You will need the following documents:

1. Passport Application form completed in black ink, capital letters
    2. Sections 1,2,3,4,5,9 and 10 need to be completed. Section 1 needs to be completed as a first adult unless you are applying to renew your second passport.
    3. Section 10 must be completed.
    4. Two recent identical passport sized photographs (only ONE certified at the back as a true likeness of applicant) these must comply with our NEW guidance; see the photo standards pages inside the guidance booklet within your application pack for full details.
    5. Name change document if name has changed.
    6. Fee of £147.86
    7. Current passport* or your Birth Certificate (Full Birth Certificate if born on or after 01/01/1983) if your current passport is not available
    8. Letter from employer stating the need for a second passport.

We would advise you not make any travel arrangements until you receive your passport.

*If you are required to use your current passport for travel whilst you are applying for a second passport, you need not submit the same with your application. Please enter your current passport number in section 3 of the form and give details in section 8 as to why your passport is not available.

Alternatively, you may enclose a separate letter detailing your current passport number and why you are unable to submit the same.

Thank you

Customer service e-mail team

wtbhotia, Gruntfuttock and pin like this.