Like Tree3Likes

Celebrity migrants

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Celebrity migrants

Where is the 'Quality' in these people? That's how they get the HKID, the QMAS. I am thinking of, most recently, Tang Wei, Guo Jingjing, LangLang, and no doubt many others. Sure they have recognition to some but what can such individuals offer the people of HK, what benefits does society gain offering such folks the ID?
    I can accept the Investment Visa; dump $10M into the city for X years and someone will benefit. Real QMAS people must show a valid history, a 'game plan towards employment and success' and some cash to gain entry. But how many HKs want what Miss Guo brings to the table?
    Oh, yeah. All the above the correct race, age and status. I guess that's enough.

I'm not really sure who Guo Jingjing is but the other two are pretty talented in their professions.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I'm not really sure who Guo Jingjing is but the other two are pretty talented in their professions.
    most famous Chinese Olympic diver, she has participated in the Athens and Beijing Olympics. also married to grandson of local tycoon

has 4 gold and 2 silver Olympic medals, that's pretty talented
    Last edited by imparanoic; 16-01-2014 at 01:57 PM.

I didn't know that famous actress such as zhang ziyi and Zhou xun and famous gymnastic medalist ni ling has qualified for qmas and currently living in HK

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    most famous Chinese Olympic diver, she has participated in the Athens and Beijing Olympics married to grandson of local tycoon

has 4 gold and 2 silver Olympic medals, that's pretty talented
    Right, and the bolded had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with it.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Right, and the bolded had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with it.
    probably not

I have corrected the statement

I am really not sure what the problem is here (had to look two of them up though). All of them are or have been very successful in the professions. Are you arguing that successful musicians or actresses have less to bring to HK than, say, bankers or computer programmers?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I am really not sure what the problem is here (had to look two of them up though). All of them are or have been very successful in the professions. Are you arguing that successful musicians or actresses have less to bring to HK than, say, bankers or computer programmers?
    Yes, the idea of the quality migrant programme was to allow people to come and contribute to HK (within their particular area of expertise). Some come here to just have babies (the diving diva) or just for the passport to travel overseas (the pianist). The pianist might have property here but I doubt he lives here.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    As if HK needs anymore bankers and computer programmers!

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    ...also married to grandson of local tycoon...
    Why bother with QMAS then? Isnt it a huge hassle compared to an investment visa?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast