Applications for the Dependant Visa for my husband and my step-son

Closed Thread

Dear Sir or Madam,

Background:
    I am a HK Permanent Resident. I want to get marriage in April with an American in USA. My future husband is divorced and got one son who is 10 years old and his son is born in UK and now stays in UK for studying. I want my future husband and my future step-son move to HK for staying as HK Permanent Resident as an one-whole family. My husband will open or move and do his business in HK after getting marriage. My future son will study in HK.

Questions:
    How can we make the successful applications for my husband and step-son?
    Could my husband allow to do his business in HK while my step-son allow to study in HK?
    More detailed and valuable advices are welcome as I am got none idea at all.
    Have you got this experience before? Please give me your advice – with many thanks !!!

Please reply me through e-mail: [email protected] – with many thanks !!!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You would be able to sponsor a dependant visa for your husband (you will need to show you can support him financially). To sponsor the step-son for a dependant visa, I believe you would need to legally adopt him first.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 20-01-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You would be able to sponsor a dependant visa for your husband (you will need to show you can support him financially). To sponsor the step-son for a dependant visa, I believe you would need to legally adopt him first.
    Sorry! What you mean by adopt him legally? Please give examples. How to adopt my step-son legally? Can I show his Birth Certificate (on it there is his father name, is his son in legal) and together my Marriage Certificate (on it there is my name and my husband name, is the spouse in legal) for our relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I can't find the definition of 'dependent child' that excludes step-children on any Immigration Department site. I would have thought that if the husband has full custody of the child then the child could or should be classed as a dependent.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Double checked the relevant interpretation in Cap. 115.

"child" (子女), for the purposes of Part IIIA, means a legitimate or legitimated child, a stepchild and a child adopted in a manner recognized by law;
    Think I was getting it mixed up with a High Court case...

I believe there is a female poster here who had a similar situation. Don't think it was entirely straightforward but the visa was obtained in the end. Can someone put my memory straight please?
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 23-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.