working permit issues

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Macau

Ocean 13,

Was it ever confimed that Macau was no longer considered a destination to renew your 90 day visitor visa?

Does anyone else know the ruling?

You are working here 100% illegally and would be subject to all punishments bla bla bla.

However, you fall very far down immigration's list of 'Naughty People'. Immigration are well aware that there are tens of thousands of expat workers here who come in, start work within 24 hours of arriving and then start the visa process within the first few months.

If immigration really wanted to cleanse HK then all they would need to do is visit every education centre and every finance house and have an HKID audit/check. Voila....thousands of naughty criminals caught

This is not to say that you won't get done but the risk will increase the longer you are here.

I would however suggest that you pay a visit to one of the companies that the moderators have mentioned on here. Knowitall has recommended Visapro up in North Point quite often and I have used them for my own staff and found them to be very personal and efficient.

Your situation sounds very similar to what happened to us when we set up here. Everyone said it was a "simple" process. It was ANYTHING but simple. They wanted huge amount of extra (entirely unnecessary) information on our company and it took forever. Well, about 3 months. During that time I worked in the HK office, lived in serviced appt, got paid from the HK office and nobody batted an eyelid! having a UK passport, I got 180 day entry so I did not need to leave, but had I needed to do so I would have gone to Macau (which is where I went to 'activate' the visa).....

Update on your situation?

Hi, I was interested to read your post because my husband is being sent out to HK for 1st Nov 2008 in a similar capacity as you (Director to open office). Have you sorted your situation out and if so, how did you resolve it. What advice would you give us? Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie666:
    Ocean 13,

Was it ever confimed that Macau was no longer considered a destination to renew your 90 day visitor visa?

Does anyone else know the ruling?
    I don't know about any rulings or what not, this post was the first I had ever heard of this Macau 90 day renewal thing. I went to Macau for 4 hours on sunday the 20th and I go a new 90 day stamp. My first 90 days was to run out today.

Hi!
    @ cookie666, this is what I have heard and cannot verify as I went to Singapore in the end.
    @my_little_pony, thank you for not merely pointing the fingers as some have done on this thread without trying to help...I have since then contacted a lawyer and it turned out the 'Secretary' forgot to give half the documents to Immigration....had to start all over again! I cannot stress enough the importance of having a good firm to represent you!!
    @movingin07, thank you for sharing your experience! I have to say we have so far produced endless business plans and account documents....and had to do it all over again!!
    @clairez: start the procedure immediately. I started mine in January this year - 4 month before coming here - and the situation is not resolved. And PLEASE do not use just any accountancy firm -if it is a new business, you will be required to take one as 'Secretary'. Avoid mine at all costs!! I have found a good one called Asialink. They will deal with everything. Unfortunately, my situation is still not resolved but I now feel it is in good hands....at last! PM me if you need more info and I will be happy to share what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by ocean13:
    Hi!
    @ cookie666, this is what I have heard and cannot verify as I went to Singapore in the end.
    @my_little_pony, thank you for not merely pointing the fingers as some have done on this thread without trying to help...I have since then contacted a lawyer and it turned out the 'Secretary' forgot to give half the documents to Immigration....had to start all over again! I cannot stress enough the importance of having a good firm to represent you!!
    @movingin07, thank you for sharing your experience! I have to say we have so far produced endless business plans and account documents....and had to do it all over again!!
    @clairez: start the procedure immediately. I started mine in January this year - 4 month before coming here - and the situation is not resolved. And PLEASE do not use just any accountancy firm -if it is a new business, you will be required to take one as 'Secretary'. Avoid mine at all costs!! I have found a good one called Asialink. They will deal with everything. Unfortunately, my situation is still not resolved but I now feel it is in good hands....at last! PM me if you need more info and I will be happy to share what I know.
    OOF...I'd suggest that you re-read my post before getting those knickers twisted all the way up your arse.

I DID suggest that you use one of the companies that KIA has mentioned previously as I found them to be quite helpful.

Put the handbag down

my little pony... he wasn't getting upset with you... he was thanking you for helping him....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    my little pony... he wasn't getting upset with you... he was thanking you for helping him....

OOF again......well....that would teach me to read this forum after a long day at the office....have just re-read and am now finding it difficult to type my apology from bended knee...

er, my back is hurting prostrating myself if that helps .

Offer my fullest apologies to the poster....will now ask the misus to slap me very hard

***EDIT - Have since reread and have offered further apologies via PM....my face is very red..(not from the missus)

Anger management starts tomorrow at 5:00
    Last edited by My_little_pony; 30-07-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: not long enough

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Er, no. If you are based in Hong Kong and you do work here then you are employed here. Where the pay cheque comes from each month is irrelevant. Many expats employed in Hong Kong are paid from overseas.

Being employed here, you should also, of course, be paying taxes in Hong Kong, but I guess you aren't doing that either.
    Sorry, delayed response...but then the thread is still alive.

Anyway, I guess I was a little unclear my post: The distinction I was making was between conducting business in Hong Kong and being based here/getting paid here, not between being based here and being employed here.

One is, of course, allowed to conduct business in Hong Kong while visiting, but to be based here requires a visa.

Concerning tax, under the territorial system of taxation employed by Hong Kong income arising in or derived from within the territory of Hong Kong should be liable to tax (i.e., income earned from employment that is fundamentally based in Hong Kong or relates to duties performed in Hong Kong).
    However, visitors are generally be exempt from Hong Kong salaries tax as long as they do not spend more than 60 days in Hong Kong during a tax year.