I have an old hkg ID card issued 1991

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

hold on a minute. if you haven't been to HK in 14 years you have definitely lost your PR (if you had one in the first place) and for sure the Verification for the Eligibility of Permanent Identity Card (VEPIC).
    You may still be able to get RTL but this you will need to check with the Immigration Department on their website

I read they would usually ask you later for the original copies of the documents presented. Arent those presented at the time of application or are those being asked in the middle of 6-8wks waiting period?

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using GeoClicks mobile app

They check your original documents once the application has been approved. You can then get your new ID photo taken right away and issued with a temp paper HK ID until your plastic version is ready for collection.

As I said and know from experience, you must be legally present the day you submit app in person or by mail, then you may leave the same day.
    You can authorize someone to present originals of all docs submitted during app process.

Once approved you will get a letter
    OR if you are present on document verification day A Sticker in your passport.

You can apply with either one for a HK ID within half a year or so, dont remember. That you need to do in person

Whilst it says you need to be present in HK when you make your application I presume there is nothing stopping anyone from mailing everything to a relative in HK and then the relative sending the documents to immigration or even when making the application online via a VPN with an HK ip address. You will obviously need to be physically in HK to get your photo taken for the ID card, but that is really about it.

Even for the "interview" I think you can send a representative (sorry might be wrong on this, as I don't have my letter anymore), but they will ask for your passport, so in practical terms you will have to be in HK.

But then again, public forums do provide shockingly poor advice on immigration issues and you may want to speak to Hong Kong Visa Geeza:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/8...ml#post2740166

Also, Morrison, what is this "verification day A Sticker" in the passport? Is that just for RTL?

Last edited by pin; 21-02-2014 at 09:41 AM.

The law requires you to be in Hong Kong when you make the application. ImmD tracks you in and out. So, yes, there is a very obvious need for you to be physically in HK to submit the application!

Im currently preparing my HKG primary school documents which proves i was there at least for 7 years and my school docs also here to prove why i was out of HKG for a long period of time. Including my parents papers who still resides in HKG till now. What other things would you guyz suggest i need to prepare also?

check the attachment

Thanks rakedavids for sharing this... Made the procedures look alot simplier

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Whilst it says you need to be present in HK when you make your application I presume there is nothing stopping anyone from mailing everything to a relative in HK and then the relative sending the documents to immigration or even when making the application online via a VPN with an HK ip address. You will obviously need to be physically in HK to get your photo taken for the ID card, but that is really about it.

Even for the "interview" I think you can send a representative (sorry might be wrong on this, as I don't have my letter anymore), but they will ask for your passport, so in practical terms you will have to be in HK.

But then again, public forums do provide shockingly poor advice on immigration issues and you may want to speak to Hong Kong Visa Geeza:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/8...ml#post2740166

Also, Morrison, what is this "verification day A Sticker" in the passport? Is that just for RTL?
    Actually, if you look at the ROP145 forms, one of the conditions is you sign off on is that you are currently in Hong Kong when you submit the application. If they catch that (which probably isn't hard) then it's an easy way to refuse the application.

The verification part (aka interview, but it usually is not an interview) can be done by someone else who brings in the required documents.
    Last edited by Hairball; 26-02-2014 at 10:04 PM.