HK SAR Passport

Closed Thread

HK SAR Passport

I am planning to get a HK SAR Passport and was thinking on how my current or valid US VISA will be transferred from my Philippine Passport to the HK SAR Passport? Do I need to apply for a new US VISA to be stamped to the HK SAR Passport or just have it transferred?

Anyone encountered this?

Quote Originally Posted by longbeard:
    I am planning to get a HK SAR Passport and was thinking on how my current or valid US VISA will be transferred from my Philippine Passport to the HK SAR Passport? Do I need to apply for a new US VISA to be stamped to the HK SAR Passport or just have it transferred?

Anyone encountered this?
    AFAIK, you will need to make a new US Visa application.

Why don't you just use the Philippine Passport when you go to the US?

Quote Originally Posted by STB:
    AFAIK, you will need to make a new US Visa application.

Why don't you just use the Philippine Passport when you go to the US?
    I was thinking of that too.. But it would be easier to transfer everything to the new passport.. Or just wait for the expiry and apply the new US VISA upon renewal to the HK SAR Passport?

You can't - if you are granted a HKSAR passport you will be required to renounce your Philippines citizenship in favour of the Chinese Citizenship that you have applied for. China does not allow dual citizenship for naturalised citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You can't - if you are granted a HKSAR passport you will be required to renounce your Philippines citizenship in favour of the Chinese Citizenship that you have applied for. China does not allow dual citizenship for naturalised citizens.
    Ok.. Did you apply for a new US VISA again?

Yes. I guess it might be an easier process second time but you would need to go through the application.

Surely this is a relatively minor issue compared to giving up your Filipino citizenship to become Chinese?