Working under a visa and having a company at the same time

Closed Thread

Working under a visa and having a company at the same time

Jo san!

I bring again this topic with different questions this time
    Ok, this is clear that we cannot work for a company who provided our visa and have our own LTD at the same time, but i heard that if we employ someone as a director, then 'i am not involved' and that will be fine for the immigration.

IF later I ask for my own visa under the LTD (after quiting my job), will it be still ok this way?

Questions regarding the employment of a director:

If this is a small business, not need to have 5 days work a week, Is a part time is ok ?
    As this business doesnt really require to be in HK, if I have only an independant commercial running the company from Europe or US paid only on commissions, does it work for the immigration (no staff at all in HK, then its like an offshore company although I'm in HK)

Thanks for any advices about it!

Cheers!

Talking

You can register a limited company and even be a director while employed . However your contract with the present employer may require disclosure.
    Being a director of a company does not give you the right to work for that company.
    You can hire a secretarial company to run the company for you. They can act as directors and run the company as per your instructions.
    In future, when ever you decide to apply for the work visa under this company ,you have to satisfy the immigration department and meet their normal requirements.

Best advise would be to talk to an immigration consultant

Last edited by Oldtimer; 18-07-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I was also considering hiring someone in China, and say he is the manager of the company, as this business doesnt really require to be in HK actually.

Yes I can go and check with an imigration officer and I'll wear a mask
    Isnt risky to go there and explain frankly the situation?

Not its not risky, it is the only proper way to handle the situation unless you hire an immigration consultant to do it for you. Either what you want to do is legal and immigration will say yes, or it is not legal and your visa will be denied.