Like Tree1Likes

Internship Visa Ending - How can I stay?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Internship Visa Ending - How can I stay?

Hi all,

Long time reader - first time posting.

Currently I'm on an ID992A internship visa that is expiring. What I currently need to do is to buy more time in order to stay in Hong Kong and get a job (waiting on interview results atm).

I'm a Malaysian Chinese and was wondering how I could get the 30-days tourist visa working for me.

My main goal at the moment is to just be in HK over the next few weeks to be on call should I receive further interviews.

Thanks!

On the day your visa expires, take a trip to Macau, stay overnight and then come back the following day back to HK as a Tourist.

Look at line 119, Malaysia Passport holders get 90 days in HK.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/en/services/h...ry-permit.html

Does that raise any red flags? I was wondering if it did seeing as from the immigration officer's perspective I am obviously just trying to buy more time immediately upon completing my internship.

if it is your first visa run then no red flags and should be fine

worst case they will haul you aside and ask you some questions but they won't block you from reentering.

just don't tell them you are doing a visa run. looking for a job etc if they ask

Quote Originally Posted by mar7us:
    Does that raise any red flags? I was wondering if it did seeing as from the immigration officer's perspective I am obviously just trying to buy more time immediately upon completing my internship.
    Only raises red flags if your from a shitty country mainly but even if they do ask just make up some BS story like you finally have a chance to visit HK properly and visit the tourist sites as before you were working long hours and had no time to check out the great areas of HK, u know make up stuff just dont tell em your job hunting like jwyl said.

Quote Originally Posted by jwyl:
    if it is your first visa run then no red flags and should be fine

worst case they will haul you aside and ask you some questions but they won't block you from reentering.

just don't tell them you are doing a visa run. looking for a job etc if they ask
    You cant say they wont block them from reentering because its a possability especially if they follow your advice and tell the immigration officer their job hunting.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by auss:
    You cant say they wont block them from reentering because its a possability especially if they follow your advice and tell the immigration officer their job hunting.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app
    I had to re-read it a few times, too.
    jwyl is telling him NOT to use the job hunting as the excuse.

Do you guys think it makes a difference if I went away from the country for a good ~3 days instead of going to macau overnight to start a 90 day tourist visa?

Quote Originally Posted by mar7us:
    Do you guys think it makes a difference if I went away from the country for a good ~3 days instead of going to macau overnight to start a 90 day tourist visa?
    Are you a dude, if yes then book a cheap flight to Philippines - Angeles, if you book early on tiger airways, the return flight incl tax is around 1K HKD, stay there and enjoy for a few days and return to HK as a tourist
    auss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Are you a dude, if yes then book a cheap flight to Philippines - Angeles, if you book early on tiger airways, the return flight incl tax is around 1K HKD, stay there and enjoy for a few days and return to HK as a tourist
    Do they discriminate against guys?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast