Like Tree16Likes

Visa Declined

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Visa Declined

Hi guys. I have had 2 work visas declined because immigration said that the companies can hire locally. My girlfriend is besides herself with anguish over this and we were thinking about getting married. Is it too soon after a refusal. We do love each-other and the relationship is genuine, nearly a year now. She is HK born and bred and I am a Brit. Is this possible?

What is the position / salary?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you were married, she could sponsor a dependent visa* for you, under which you could work.

* Under certain conditions.

A dependent visa is a completely different animal than a work visa. You are essentially not involved - it's all about her and her ability to support you. It's never "too soon" although you may be asked to prove your relationship through photos, phone records or whatever to show its genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    What is the position / salary?
    Thanks for the response. It was assistant manager/sommelier at 30k to start with great prospects

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    A dependent visa is a completely different animal than a work visa. You are essentially not involved - it's all about her and her ability to support you. It's never "too soon" although you may be asked to prove your relationship through photos, phone records or whatever to show its genuine.
    I see. The reason I mentioned too soon is because I don't want immigration to think I am doing this just for a visa to stay. We thought working first would give us more time to know eachother more and was sensible. I also considered going back to England for a few months. We have gone on vacation together a few times. She came to England to see me. We can def prove our relationship is genuine but didn't want to be hasty in case it ruins our chances to be together. Financially she certainly is not wealthy but I do live with her and she is great with her money. I have been offered many jobs so finding work for me is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I forgot to say thanks. Sorry. She tells me she only has around 40k in the bank. Is this too little?

What's her salary? Typically with 10-15k a month minimum and a place to live, a dependent visa is not hard*.

(* unless you are South Asian).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy4055:
    Thanks for the response. It was assistant manager/sommelier at 30k to start with great prospects
    Salary is sufficient. Could be the company didn't show that it had tried but wasn't able to fill the position locally.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

To add, with two declined applications, any future applications (of any type) are likely to be very carefully scrutinised.

Fiona in HKG and carang like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast