Like Tree14Likes

HK SAR Passport - Cantonese Requirements

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Plus Allan Zeman, Michael Rowse....
    I saw Allan Zeman yesterday. Since becoming HK, he seems to have put on a bit of weight.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I note that westerner with HK Sar Passport who can't barely speak any Cantonese - Allan Zeman
    Publicity stunt.
    shri, Stu79 and elle like this.

Mandarin should be fine, right? That's 'Chinese' and it proves that we love our country as we speak the National language of Mandarin.

(Serious question)

Edit: not trolling, but if intermediate Mandarin is acceptable then it saves most people who have learned Chinese (Mandarin) a lot of stress. I know it sounds terrible.. because we should speak Cantonese in HK blah blah but I am honestly curious.

And you know when the Chief Executive was sworn in etc he gave his speech in Mandarin, so I am guessing it's OK.

Last edited by HKHK154; 13-05-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Holy crow. Supposed intelligent folks tossing western passport and choosing exclusive China passport? Sounds crazy to me. Zeman and his ilk only choosing more money.

HK_Katherine likes this.

I know for a fact it is not a strict requirement to be able to speak Cantonese (even if you are South Asian). I suppose it will depend on the immigration officer handling your case.

Thanks for all the input.

Does he only need to submit the Naturalization form or does he have to also send in a passport application.

How long does the process take these days. I recall it was 5-6 months back in '07.

Last edited by JaredHK; 13-05-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Naturalisation form first. If accepted, then go through the passport ritual (which is very quick).

JaredHK likes this.

It takes around 6-9 months I think.

Add about a month to collect and put together the documents.

Here's a copy of all the documents that they wanted from me. (Some of it is just quite silly, considering they have all my records... IMMD, IRD etc).

JaredHK and emx like this.

Thanks Shri. I convinced him to get this done ASAP as I travel with him a lot and it seems to be quite a hassle for him with his current passport (Visas etc). Apparently there is a new immigration office two streets away near the local rubbish dump on Kimberly Street so this would save him the hassle of Wanchai immi tower.

J