Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dumbdonkey
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax

(University Student) Didn't get an HKID - am I in trouble?

Closed Thread

Unhappy (University Student) Didn't get an HKID - am I in trouble?

Hey all,

I'm originally from the US and I came here on a 1 year student visa to study at HKU September last year. Apparently I was supposed to go get an HKID during the first 180 days I was here or something, but I truly and unfortunately didn't know, and forgot about it. Really dumb of me, I know - I thought you only had a right to get the HKID after 7 years of living here.

That 180 day period has since passed, and I just discovered that I should have an HKID. Will I face any penalties/deportation if I go to the immigration tower and get it now?

Funny thing is that during the christmas holidays I left HK and came back in, upon which they asked for an HKID for re-entry. I just showed them my passport and student visa, and they let me in. So I never thought twice about it and just thought they thought I was a Hongkonger (I look asian).

Sorry - I know it's really careless of me. But really, in my 8 months here I've never been asked for it for anything. Every registration took my passport just fine. I thought only HK citizens had HKIDs. The whole concept of having an "identification card" on me or face penalties is quite foreign to me, and really makes me quite uneasy. That doesn't excuse my ignorance, but yeah.

Will I face any penalties? Really don't wanna go to jail or be deported... ;(

Luckily you have a valid student visa

Go to immigration in Wanchai Monday Morning and plead your ignorance and grovel and apply for your hk ID.

Yeah you will have to write a letter to the Director of Immigration stating your reasons for not picking up your HKID on time (basically apologising for your mistake). I'm not sure but I think you'll just get a slap on the wrist as your visa seems to be in order.

Don't worry too much... I didn't get one until I'd been here for 7 months. I then went and applied, and no questions were asked.

An American friend/colleague of mine applied for his for only after being here 2-3 years, nothing happened to him, he even knew he had to go get one but couldnt be bothered.

Your more likely to get in trouble if stopped by the police for what ever reason. As a Hong Kong resident you must carry your id at all times. Best get there tomorrow early and apply.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Don't worry too much... I didn't get one until I'd been here for 7 months. I then went and applied, and no questions were asked.
    And did we have red phone booths when you applied?
    GeoSteve and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgood.:
    Apparently I was supposed to go get an HKID during the first 180 days I was here or something(
    where did you get this requirement from? as far as i can read - and happy if someone can point out other information - you are required to get a HKID if you are a resident for longer than 180 days, but that doesn't mean you have to get the HKID within 180 days

in my personal scenario 10 years ago, i arrived in HK in Aug 2004 under a student visa and only obtained the HKID in July 2006. Was perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by auss:
    Your more likely to get in trouble if stopped by the police for what ever reason. As a Hong Kong resident you must carry your id at all times. Best get there tomorrow early and apply.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app
    It clearly depends on his skin colour though... I have been here for 21 years (since before phone booths were invented) and never been asked for my ID.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    where did you get this requirement from? as far as i can read - and happy if someone can point out other information - you are required to get a HKID if you are a resident for longer than 180 days, but that doesn't mean you have to get the HKID within 180 days

in my personal scenario 10 years ago, i arrived in HK in Aug 2004 under a student visa and only obtained the HKID in July 2006. Was perfectly fine
    You have to apply for a card within 30 days. It's the law. Cap. 177A, Reg 3.
    Every person who is not an exempt person or an excluded person, or is not the holder of a permanent identity card that was issued on an application from outside Hong Kong and who is required by section 3(2) of the Ordinance to apply to be registered, must report to a registration officer, apply to be registered and apply for an identity card- (L.N. 382 of 1989)
    (a) within 30 days of his entering Hong Kong; or
    (b) if he is already in Hong Kong when he becomes required by the Ordinance or these regulations to be registered, within 30 days of the date when he is so required, whichever is the sooner.

Jeez... the quality of students these days...
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 19-05-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.