Like Tree4Likes

Work Visa Expiry

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Work Visa Expiry

Hi All,

My friend is in a spot of bother at the moment, he went away a few weeks ago on holiday and during this time his work visa expired, due to an oversight from him and his company.

He's been here about 4 years and obviously wants to stay, just wondering if this is like any other extension? also, would this affect the 7 Year continuous rule for him obtaining PR?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

He should run - not walk - to ImmD. Now. Right now.

Fiona in HKG and HK_Katherine like this.

haha....it's been about 3 weeks now i believe. Not good.

I have been in a similar situation with a senior employee. He should go with someone from his employer as my guy was told that they could not process an extension having been here illegally at work for so many weeks. We had to go to the Kwun Tong Office that deals with over-stayers and try to sort it out there. Luckily we found a very VERY understanding official (be prepared to see people entering in handcuffs while you wait and notices on the walls about getting a lawyer) who helped us sort it out through his contacts back at Immigration Tower.

Trust me, it's no laughing matter and be prepared to eat major crow!

Re the clock re-setting we were told they would take everything into consideration when the time came to apply for PR.

Claire ex-ax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bb1987:
    haha....it's been about 3 weeks now i believe. Not good.
    As long as the extension has been applied for I don't see a problem. I had 1 month gap and they didn't even ask. If not, then he should go asap and explain it and hope to be lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I have been in a similar situation with a senior employee. He should go with someone from his employer as my guy was told that they could not process an extension having been here illegally at work for so many weeks...
    As far as I understand the visa expired while he was away. So he could hardly overstay.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    As far as I understand the visa expired while he was away. So he could hardly overstay.
    He would have entered as a tourist, which he cannot work on. Same as if he were working here with an expired employment visa. Illegal.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    Then he has knowingly entered Hong Kong and taken up employment illegally. Just as bad, maybe even worse in their eyes. They do not like people taking the piss.

this all comes as he's about to transfer his visa to another company, what a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by bb1987:
    this all comes as he's about to transfer his visa to another company, what a mess.
    He doesn't technically have a visa to transfer. This is very messy indeed. His current employer will also be in trouble.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast