Like Tree7Likes

China Visa / British Passport?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

China Visa / British Passport?

Hi all,

Do I need a visa if I want to head over to Shenzen? I have a British Passport.
    If so, how long does it take to get it?

Yes you do, normal time for china visa should be around 3-4 days
    or you can get a visa at the Lo Wu border, aprox 500 rmb (China Money)

The border one is single visit, Shenzhen only.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GeoClicks mobile app

Shenzhen 5 day visa is 304 rmb for UK passport holders: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/a...2&d=1390362415

Single entry China visa (30 days) is HK$360 in Wanchai (takes 4 days to get; pay extra for fast service): http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/fwxx/wgrqz/t279937.htm

wtbhotia likes this.

Have any British passport holders on here flown into Haikou/Sanya to get a visa on arrival at the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Have any British passport holders on here flown into Haikou/Sanya to get a visa on arrival at the airport?
    Not that I have any experience but flying to most Chinese cities from HK, the staff at the check in and before you board the plane will check if you have a valid visa or not into China before letting you on the plane.

not sure why Haikou/Sanya would be different unless you have some privileged info

Visas

British nationals need a visa to enter mainland China, but not Hong Kong or Macao. For mainland China, you must get a visa prior to arrival, including for Hainan Island. For details of entry requirements to China contact the nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate in good time before your proposed trip.
    Hmmmm some conflicting info which doesnt match the British consulate website, this is from Wikipedia, I see why your asking now

Hainan Province
    Eligible countries

Nationals from the following countries can visit Hainan Island visa-free as long as their visit lasts 15 days or less and they are visiting as part of a tour group organised by a National Tourism Administration of China-approved travel agency based in Hainan.

Australia
    Austria
    Canada
    Denmark
    France
    Finland
    Germany
    Indonesia
    Italy

Japan
    Kazakhstan
    Malaysia
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Philippines
    Russia
    Singapore

South Korea
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Thailand
    Ukraine
    United Kingdom
    United States

In addition, visas on arrival are available for citizens from the following countries, which China considers countries with established diplomatic or official trade relations for the purposes of investment, trade, economic and technological interactions, visiting friends and family, or vacation. Visas are available at all entry points and are valid for 15 days.[63]

Australia
    Austria
    Canada
    France
    Germany
    Indonesia
    Italy

Japan
    Malaysia
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Philippines
    Russia
    Singapore

South Korea
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Thailand
    United Kingdom
    United States
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 21-05-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: very confused
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Yup, and the govt of Hainan says you can get one on arrival too. I'll call Dragonair before I fly.

On the subject of a china visa with a british passport, my other half had a dickens of a job yesterday getting one. He turned up with all the required information, but was then asked for additional information about his travel plans, flights and hotels. So he gave them that information but then was sent away because the hotel bookings are in MY name and I had to write a letter saying that yes, he really was staying in the same room as me! Has anyone else found it harder recently? Got there in the end, but only a 6 month visa (even though this is the 3rd or 4th china visa he has had).

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    On the subject of a china visa with a british passport, my other half had a dickens of a job yesterday getting one. He turned up with all the required information, but was then asked for additional information about his travel plans, flights and hotels. So he gave them that information but then was sent away because the hotel bookings are in MY name and I had to write a letter saying that yes, he really was staying in the same room as me! Has anyone else found it harder recently? Got there in the end, but only a 6 month visa (even though this is the 3rd or 4th china visa he has had).
    See http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/fwxx/wgrqz/t1070687.htm

L Visa

Documents showing the itinerary including air ticket booking record (round trip) and proof of a hotel reservation, etc.
    So, travel plans, flights and hotels is not really "additional information".

Has partner had a six month, one or three year multi before, or only double entries? Sometimes agents are able to get longer visas in these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    See http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/fwxx/wgrqz/t1070687.htm

So, travel plans, flights and hotels is not really "additional information".

Has partner had a six month, one or three year multi before, or only double entries? Sometimes agents are able to get longer visas in these circumstances.
    I'm assuming my husband was looking at the wrong information - he also got told the form he downloaded and filled in was the "wrong form" and had to fill in another one. I just asked him where he got his form and information and he "can't remember" which is husband-speak for "I realise now I screwed it up but I'm not going to admit it".

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast