Like Tree36Likes

UK Passport Renewals From Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Indeed, merely transferring residence visas to the NZ passport and using that for travel outside of the EU, to avoid all the hayssle of will they or won't they renew her passport this year.

Although technically the answer to Claire's question is the EU Right to Family Life, when travelling with her father.
    PMSL at the last sentence. Has that ever been successfully applied? When I questioned this I was told we had the right to a family life, just not in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    PMSL at the last sentence. Has that ever been successfully applied? When I questioned this I was told we had the right to a family life, just not in the UK.
    Correct, and I forgot to say I wasn't referring to the UK, unless you are using the Surinder Singh route...maybe. But it works for other EU countries.

The benefit of being a UK citizen, get excluded from your own country for marrying a non-EU spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Correct, and I forgot to say I wasn't referring to the UK, unless you are using the Surinder Singh route...maybe. But it works for other EU countries. [/IMG]
    They changed the rules and closed down the Surinder Singh route didnt they???

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    They changed the rules and closed down the Surinder Singh route didnt they???
    No, they just made it harder by adding in this clause:

the centre of [the British citizen]’s life has transferred to the EEA State where [the British citizen] resided as a worker or self-employed person.
    You have to sell up lock, stock in the UK and have everything in the other EU country. Close your bank accounts, sell your properties.

They can't close Surinder Singh down entirely without having major changes made to EU law, but they can make it bloody difficult.

they did this to:

… preventing abuse by those British citizens who move temporarily to another member state in order to circumvent the requirements of the usual immigration rules for their family members upon return to the UK
    The stupid of penalising your own citizens for nothing more than marrying a foreigner just goes straight over their fat heads.
    usehername and iliketurtles like this.

No doubt they will then argue that having moved the centre of your life to another country you no longer have ties to the uk and so have no reason to move your family there.

UK government announced major changes yesterday.

However how that will affect us is another matter.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13