Dependent Visa vs. Work-sponsor Visa: which one should my husband use to enter to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread

Dependent Visa vs. Work-sponsor Visa: which one should my husband use to enter to Hong Kong?

Hi, I was born and raised in Hong Kong and my husband is an American Citizen who were born in Taiwan. We are living in the US currently.

My husband's company is going to send him to Hong Kong later this year or the beginning of next year. When we knew our possible move to Hong Kong, I applied for dependent visas for my husband and kids and all of them got approved.

The company that my husband works for wants him to be in Asia for a long, perhaps permanently (while other expats in his company usually will stay for about three years).

My question is: what are the pros and cons of using dependent visa vs. work-sponsored visa for him. In terms of social benefits (such as access to govenment run clinic and hospital) and restrictions in Hong Kong, entering Mainland China and other parts of the world for frequent business trips, future switching jobs, and potentially becoming a Hong Kong citizen in the future.

Your advice is very appreicated. Thanks!!!

Agree - Dependent visa is far superior in terms of flexibility (basically you can take on any work you want).

Work visas are limited to one company.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Agree. I had just gotten a dependent visa right before actually getting a job offer, taking it, and then getting asked to switch to an employment visa. I told HR that I'm all set. It was tough convincing them but luckily I had a trip planned right before my start date and needed my passport etc. They said they would follow up, but apparently its fallen through cracks as its been almost a year now. Just applied to extend my dependent visa and I think its good for 3 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    Agree. I had just gotten a dependent visa right before actually getting a job offer, taking it, and then getting asked to switch to an employment visa. I told HR that I'm all set. It was tough convincing them but luckily I had a trip planned right before my start date and needed my passport etc.
    The only reason that I can think off why some companies would try to force an employee to change to a work visa from dependent visa is so that they cant change jobs easily, apart from that I really cant see any benefit for them to ask for such a request. Will they get tax breaks??

OP stick to getting the dependent visa as others have informed, easier to bounce around.

Thanks for all of your comments. Very helpful!