Like Tree7Likes

UK Passport Renewal Horror

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fatelvis:
    Had the double whammy of applying for wife's spouse visa and kids British passports at the same time. Wife's visa has come through. So now we're waiting for the kids passports as we were advised (strongly) to not enter the UK with their HK ones. Without any sort of travel doc, I'm wondering if it was really that sensible to apply now.. oh well. Join the queue like every other UK mug citizen.
    What was the reason for not entering the UK on HK passports? I can tell you, if you apply IN the UK in person, you can get all this crap sorted out in a matter of hours. Although if these are first passports for the kids, that may be harder. And I thought if it WAS first passports, that they had some sort of emergency scheme now anyway for kids?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    What was the reason for not entering the UK on HK passports? I can tell you, if you apply IN the UK in person, you can get all this crap sorted out in a matter of hours. Although if these are first passports for the kids, that may be harder. And I thought if it WAS first passports, that they had some sort of emergency scheme now anyway for kids?
    Good question, as they have entered as tourists before with HK passports no problem, but I think this time, immigration would see that we're moving back for good and according to my immigration consultant " If they do not have British passports at the time of traveling then they too will require settlement visas in order to enter the UK."

Hard to know what the best course of action was at the time. You're right about the Passport Office prioritising children's passports so hopefully it's done within the 8 weeks they suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Mine took almost 8 weeks exactly but I applied in mid-May just before the rush.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Same. I applied in mid May and got the RENEWAL in 8 weeks. I inquired them at the two month mark and they told me it takes 8 weeks, not 3 weeks that I previously and mistakenly thought.

My process went smoothly if the officer wasn't lying.