Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Home Return Permit - My Story (First time applied and success)

Home Return Permit - My Story (First time applied and success)

I've been looking at how to apply for a 回乡证 as I have never applied before and searching up the threads and posts in this forum has been very helpful in guiding me in applying for one for the first time, especially with stories on how people had to wait for months before getting it. Thankfully, I was able to apply successfully for the first time and as such, I would like to share my experience for any one in future who need a recent story as a guide. I will detail what I can.

My status:

- Born overseas (SE Asia to be precise)
    - Dad had British Hong Kong status, mom had foreign citizenship
    - Where I was born, there is no Jus Soli. As such I obtain no citizenship of the place of birth
    - Obtain British Hong Kong status through dad
    - HK Permanent ID with right of abode and stating I was born overseas (AO), with 3 stars
    - Stayed in overseas country for most of the time before I immigrated (I travelled annually to Hong Kong for family visits). As such my spoken Cantonese and Mandarin is basic and I learned to write only simplified chinese at basic level
    - Immigrated to Canada during my teen years and obtained citizenship in Canada. Since then I've stayed in Canada and rarely travelled outside. I've only flew to Hong Kong twice since.

So here's how it went:

I applied for a HKSAR passport before and was able to obtain it. Once I got it, I went to the China Travel Service in Mong Kok on June 30th. What I had with me was my HKPID, HKSAR passport and Canadian passport. I also brought HKSAR passport eligible photos with me hoping they will work.

Needless to say the lineups were typically long especially for the reception counter. At the counter, I presented only my SAR passport and HKPID. One look at the ID and they asked me for any foreign passport held, in which I presented my Canadian. The counter lady then asked me if I still possess a passport that I use to get my first HKPID. I told her that it was in Canada and I couldn't get it. She mentioned I needed to get that old passport in order to fully process my application. On top of the standard 回乡证 form, I was given a 聲明書 to complete. This was around 11:30am in the morning. Counter lady gave me a ticket anyhow and told me to come back at 3pm. She also told me the photos were not eligible due to size.

With whatever knowledge in written Chinese I have, I filled out both forms to the best I can (Chinese name, address, phone number, etc). Since I had hours the tasks felt easier than the agony I had to endure in filling out both forms, not to mention hearing two ladies arguing over how to apply for a permit. I had to pay for brand new face photos as well. I was worried I might have to wait for months to get the HRP like some people.

I come back around 2:30pm and waited until it was my turn. Processing counter lady asked me if I had the old passport with me. I decided to explain to her that my dad had Hong Kong status when I was born and I had a British HK passport then. She asked me if I had a child HKPID which was not with me. Told me to fill out on the 聲明書 on whether the HKPID was lost, stolen or damaged. If I can recall vaguely, I circled the part that said not found. She was making notes on what I said about being born with Hong Kong status and everything else I said on my form. She also asked me to fill out dad's name on the main form which I struggled a bit to write (quite embarassing). Other than that convo, I don't remember much clearly aside from her scanning my documents, photocopying them (and charging me for the cost). Paid $590 overall for the application and mentioned that the $200 included is for first time applicants. She mentioned I will be contacted by phone only within 2 - 4 weeks. I assumed it would be a month.

Fast forward to July 16th, I got a phone call saying it was approved and I can collect it. Wonderful! I went to the Mong Kok CTS and collected my card without a hitch. So that about wraps up my experience.

I also got my HRP in 3 weeks. I saw on this website, how others got a 1-4 month delay, just for verification of the sheng ming shu, and after the delay, they had to make a 2nd trip to HK, just to apply for an HRP, and then wait 3 weeks. I also saw that the requirements now were HKID, HK Passport, and HK birth certificate. So I was psychologically prepared of what I had to face when I went to HK in November...

I was born in HK with ***AZ on my HKID, HK passport and US passport. I also brought my HK birth certificate. At the CTS in Kowloon Bay, I 1st presented HKID, and HK passport. Agent 1, seeing I got my HKID only 4 years ago, asked to see my foreign passport. I showed my US. She then gave me the HRP form, and sheng ming shu to fill out. She said the sheng ming shu was because of my recent issuance of my HKID. However, I was also allowed to apply at the same time.

After filling out, with help from staff that was walking around, I finally turned in my applications. At the end I was told the birth certificate was not necessary, since I never changed my name (only if you changed your name, then they will require the birth certificate).

In a not so related matter, my friend was also allowed to pick up my HRP for me, since I won't be in HK by the time it's ready (I assumed 2-5 months). To do this, both mine and his HKID, and also the receipt needs to be copied on 1 paper, and he must keep the original receipt. But my friend got a call from them, and picked it up in just 3 weeks after I applied.

So in conclusion, I was able to turn in everything on the single visit, and unlike others, I didn't need to return to HK for a 2nd time, just to apply. I was so happy...

Mine was quicker! I applied for it NYE, got it 12th of Jan. Born overseas as well. They're upping their game!

Once you have an HRP, can you enter the mainland as many times as you like repeatedly? E.g. back and forth across the Hong Kong to Shenzhen border. I believe the answer is yes, but just wanted to check. Thanks

If that was a question, then the answer is yes.

If that was a statement, then ignore this post.

Yes, but to use the e-channel to Shenzhen or at the airports you must register first.
    You do that on Chinese side of Lohu border inside the building, there are
    directions in Chinese and it takes 10 minutes for form, fingers, and face scan.
    You can live and work in China, but need an extra work permit, a formality

Last edited by Morrison; 12-04-2015 at 05:08 PM.

You can also register at some other SZ border crossings but not at eg Beijing or Shanghai airpors

For those of you who have both UK/US/Canada/etc passport and HKSAR passport, when you travel back home (US, UK, etc), which passport do you use to leave HK, enter US, leave US, and return to HK? Do you have to use the same passport for the entire round trip?

Quote Originally Posted by heather11
    For those of you who have both UK/US/Canada/etc passport and HKSAR passport, when you travel back home (US, UK, etc), which passport do you use to leave HK, enter US, leave US, and return to HK? Do you have to use the same passport for the entire round trip?
    Use HKID card to exit and come back into Hong Kong and UK passport to go in and leave UK
    heather11 likes this.

Yo can use HKID or passport to leave and enter, and I believe even your foreign passport as they have a record that you ar a Chinese national
    To enter the other country, I guess that country's passaporte.
    The airline does not care, though for flights straight888 to China it somehow is easier for them to show combination of HOme Return permit and HK passport

heather11 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast