Working in Hong Kong and UK - I own the Company

Arrow Working in Hong Kong and UK - I own the Company

I am the MD of my own company in the UK. I have met a local HK girl and we are planning to marry, but this may be a few months away. She has a good job and accommodation. I would like to settle down in Hong Kong and sell my companies Digital Education Learning Resources and services into Schools, Colleges and Universities and directly to Parents and to other Training Providers.
    I have a Teaching Certificate and the company has been running since 1984. How do I apply to trade in Hong Kong, either based in Hong Kong and/or trading from the UK. I would also like to employ staff locally to assist with the business. The company has a wealth of expertise in technical, educational and training disciplines that can be shared with staff and teachers in the effective delivery of learning.

The moment you sign the marriage contract all your mentioned problems will be solved. You will be free of Governmental restrictions.

BUT......... how well do you know your proposed partner ? Are you prepared for the cultural shock that you will inevitably experience ? Are you prepared to still be a foreigner even after 40 years or more of living here ? How good will you be in overcoming the language barrier ? What too, about your future children in relation to education and cultural identity ?

Your business affairs are only a portion of the matters that need to be considered.

If you feel that you and your future life partner are able to manage these things, then good luck. Take the plunge.

I arrived here in 1957 and would not like to live anywhere else.

WHAT WAS THE QUESTION

Quote Originally Posted by DXER:
    The moment you sign the marriage contract all your mentioned problems will be solved. You will be free of Governmental restrictions.

BUT......... how well do you know your proposed partner ? Are you prepared for the cultural shock that you will inevitably experience ? Are you prepared to still be a foreigner even after 40 years or more of living here ? How good will you be in overcoming the language barrier ? What too, about your future children in relation to education and cultural identity ?

Your business affairs are only a portion of the matters that need to be considered.

If you feel that you and your future life partner are able to manage these things, then good luck. Take the plunge.

I arrived here in 1957 and would not like to live anywhere else.
    I think the OP requested information about setting up his business operations here in hK, not whether it was the right decision to marry his future wife

I apologise for not being clear enough.
    The "marriage" and the ablitiy to set up business here COULD BE very much inter-related.
    The 'marriage' will enable one to be very much free of Governmental restrictions other than the the current commercial laws.
    However, stress, cultural shock and the lack of inter personal understanding within the 'marriage' could possibly bring an ending the relationship. If that did happen within 7 years, then the business owner would be in a very difficult position as his immigration status would change and MAY require him to leave Hong Kong very rapidly. What then of his business or even any children ?

Currently, if this situation arose after a period of 7 years then any "break up" would not affect him as much as long as he had a "permanent Hong Kong Identity Card" which one can apply for after 7 years of residency.
    Whilst it would be hoped that these possibilities would not arise, the fact that they could needs to be considered and addressed BEFORE any moves to Hong Kong are made.
    A path that would be less fraught with such difficulties, would be to come to Hong Kong as a tourist and independently of the possible marriage, ask if he could stay if he transfered his business to Hong Kong. Then after that transfer, and his immigation status is based on his business activities, then get married. The two issues then being separated.
    Government Departments here are very approachable and helpful generally.