• 2 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 1 Post By Morrison
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By Morrison

HKID card question

Closed Thread

HKID card question

Hi all, I am really hoping someone can help answer my question. Thank you all in advance.

This is my situation and the documents I have/don't have:
    -Born in HK (have original birth certificate)
    -Moved to Canada at age 11 (have the landing paper), became Canadian citizen, lived in Canada ever since. I am now 34 and I am currently in Canada.
    -Both of my parents have HKPIDs (have photocopies)
    -I used to have a juvenile HK ID card (from the early 90s) but I have misplaced it. I don't even have a photocopy of it.

My question: If I bring all of my documents in person to the immigration office in HK, would they be able to look me up in their system right away (e.g., see that I once had a juvenile ID card) and verify that I had established permanent residency when I was a child? I understand that there is another procedure that takes 6-8 weeks but is that for people who have never had an HKID card or established permanent residency? or would that apply to my situation as well? In some ways, it seems to me like all I am asking for is to replace a lost juvenile card. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have that in their computer system.

thanks again guys.

If you have had a HKID card before the number stays with you for life so they will definitely be able to look it up and you should be able to get it back, this part not too sure but if your non-Chinese then you might get Right To land or if your Chinese then get Right of Abode, either way you should be able to get your HK ID back.

buddy1 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

At 34, you wouldn't be replacing a juvenile card.

imparanoic and buddy1 like this.

Just email HK Immigration, state your case and ask whether they have you in the system or whether you need to go through Verification for Eligibility.

buddy1 likes this.

Thank for the responses so far. One more question: This ID card will allow me to work in HK, correct?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you have ROA or RTL, you can work in Hong Kong without an employment visa.

buddy1 likes this.

In your case, you are regarded as Chinese national ( unless your parents renounced your Chinese nat. on your behalf when you took on Canadian and got approval from HK Immi )

So there are a lot more consequences then just the right to work in HK.

buddy1 likes this.

"So there are a lot more consequences then just the right to work in HK"

Can you explain this statement a bit more? thanks again Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Just email HK Immigration, state your case and ask whether they have you in the system or whether you need to go through Verification for Eligibility.
    I emailed and I called them; I got different answers even though I provided the same information. On the phone, the guy was pretty sure I can walk in and leave with a temporary number on the same day. But over email, another guy was like, you can try but we can't be sure if you will need the verification process.

Then email/call again and ask for clarification.

Anyway, for you, you must be in HK in either best or worst case
    best case: to apply straight for a new HK ID card and provide finger prints
    worst case: to mail off the Application for VErification of Elgibility
    ( a req. is that you are in HK the day you mail it, then you can leave same day, they will check that )

as to other consequences, well, as I said, you are probably regarded as Chinese national, not as Canadian when in HK or anywhere in China.
    YOu can ( and should ) apply for HK passport and home return permit as well