Sole proprietorship for an International Freelancer on a dependant visa

Closed Thread

Sole proprietorship for an International Freelancer on a dependant visa

Hello there.

I've been reading tons of posts but am still stuck with my questions.

I'm in Hong Kong with a dependant visa, working as a Freelancer (Copywriter) with HK clients, but also clients in Europe and in the US.

I've just setted up my sole proprietorship business and still need to figure out some things.
    I hope some of you can help me. Thank you!

1. Am I allow to be paid on a French bank account for my business? (If the client is French and doesn't want to pay me in any other way)
    2. Am I allow to have this company AND another one in another country (in that case, I'm still an entrepreneur in France)?
    3. Am I allow to work for clients all over the world? Does it make any difference for the taxes?

Thank you for your help!

You can have clients where ever you want and they can pay you however you want.

If the work is done out of Hong Kong, you have to report the income here to IRD. That income will be taxable IF you make a profit.

Thank you very much for your answer Shri.

The other question is... Would I be taxed by the France as well if I get paid in France? Even if I don't live there anymore...

No clue how that works. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Ptz:
    Thank you very much for your answer Shri.

The other question is... Would I be taxed by the France as well if I get paid in France? Even if I don't live there anymore...
    This is a very complex issue and involves the local laws. Details of those laws keep changing.
    Nobody other than an internationally experienced tax adviser in France can answer that.
    Payments alone should not create tax liabilities, but much more than that matters.