Like Tree3Likes

ROP 145 application process -please help

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:
    Interesting discussion by IceEagle, I also agree they should allow dual nationality, but this isn't really the flavour of the day for China, probably it's going to lead to too much foreign influence on the country and the SARs so I could see this as being one reason the law was written as such.
    I guess this makes sense going purely by a raw numbers strategy. Most emigrants from HK would probably be settled abroad by the time they had any overseas-born children. Also, probably a great deal of countries offer citizenship at birth as long as one of the parents is a perm resident or something, so this rule would catch the vast majority of those born overseas.

On an individual basis though, I can't see much difference between the average person who is born to HK parents settled abroad and one who is born to HK parents on conditionals visa at the time, but who have their conditions of stay lifted later on (thus becoming settled post-birth).

If HK is important for you, there are definitely ways to make it work, however they just don't want you to have it both ways.
    I admit that I don't quite see how this is the case. How'd you even get in if you're just treated just like any other foreigner and also lack qualifications for an employment visa, money for an capital investment visa, or both for a business investment visa? (ROA/RTL from the transitional rules, or a dependency visa from a parent while under the appropriate age, or a dependency visa via a genuine spouse don't count, as not just 'any other foreigner' is going to be eligible for these.)
    Last edited by IceEagle; 18-09-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IceEagle:
    I guess this makes sense going purely by a raw numbers strategy. Most emigrants from HK would probably be settled abroad by the time they had any overseas-born children. Also, probably a great deal of countries offer citizenship at birth as long as one of the parents is a perm resident or something, so this rule would catch the vast majority of those born overseas.

On an individual basis though, I can't see much difference between the average person who is born to HK parents settled abroad and one who is born to HK parents on conditionals visa at the time, but who have their conditions of stay lifted later on (thus becoming settled post-birth).

I admit that I don't quite see how this is the case. How'd you even get in if you're just treated just like any other foreigner and also lack qualifications for an employment visa, money for an capital investment visa, or both for a business investment visa? (ROA/RTL from the transitional rules, or a dependency visa from a parent while under the appropriate age, or a dependency visa via a genuine spouse don't count, as not just 'any other foreigner' is going to be eligible for these.)
    As for whether they're settled abroad or not, probably they decided that was the arbitrary criteria. Any law can be debated in why it was made that case. If they were not settled abroad, maybe you can say they have intention to move back to the home country. If you've moved abroad with permanent residence, and have a kid there, it doesn't sound like you're really planning to move back to the old country. I don't like how this is, but in terms of Chinese national interest, it does seem to make sense.

My comment about "both ways" is those that are trying to find a way to get both citizenships even though in general that isn't possible. By having you born abroad, your parents effectively decided they wanted to have a life in another country, i.e. not in China, and that's a choice they made. Chinese law is written in terms of what China thinks is beneficial.

As for whether they're settled abroad or not, probably they decided that was the arbitrary criteria. Any law can be debated in why it was made that case. I don't like how this is, but in terms of Chinese national interest, it does seem to make sense.
    Yes, I agree.

My comment about "both ways" is those that are trying to find a way to get both citizenships even though in general that isn't possible.
    It is. You just have to 1) emigrate, 2) renounce, 3) naturalize (including getting ROA and stuff first), 4) emigrate back (which should be possible if one's parents were settled abroad at one's birth), 5) naturalize again.

If dual nationality was the sole issue, I'd expect them to block at steps 3 or 5, not step 1. But if the goal is to keep as many Western educated XBCs out as possible, then stopping them at step 1 makes a lot of sense too.

It also explains why HK parents who are 65 or older can sponsor their children from mainland China into HK (see paragraph 3, under Settlement: Arrangement for Entry to Hong Kong from Mainland China | Hong Kong Visas | Public Services | Immigration Department ), but the same facility doesn't exist for those children born outside of China.

Quote Originally Posted by IceEagle:
    Yes, I agree.

It is. You just have to 1) emigrate, 2) renounce, 3) naturalize (including getting ROA and stuff first), 4) emigrate back (which should be possible if one's parents were settled abroad at one's birth), 5) naturalize again.

If dual nationality was the sole issue, I'd expect them to block at steps 3 or 5, not step 1. But if the goal is to keep as many Western educated XBCs out as possible, then stopping them at step 1 makes a lot of sense too.

It also explains why HK parents who are 65 or older can sponsor their children from mainland China into HK (see paragraph 3, under Settlement: Arrangement for Entry to Hong Kong from Mainland China | Hong Kong Visas | Public Services | Immigration Department ), but the same facility doesn't exist for those children born outside of China.
    I mean, it requires a lot of loops, possible, yes, but impractical.

I have wanted to say this earlier: how about you open a new thread for this topic?

No need to hijack other people's thread, and a new thread might ensure you more eyeballs

Ready for ROP 145

Guys, we are finally ready to visit Hong Kong in a week andwould like to know the proper procedure:
    1.Do we need to makean appointment first before we arrive in Hong Kong?
    2. or just walk in after we arrive in HK with ourapplication form and copied documents?
    3. or do we have any opportunity to talk with an officer whowe can hand over the documents?

The application form say we can either mail the Form or dropit in a Box.
    Please advise

Many Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jclaird:
    Guys, we are finally ready to visit Hong Kong in a week andwould like to know the proper procedure:
    2. or just walk in after we arrive in HK with ourapplication form and copied documents?
    3. or do we have any opportunity to talk with an officer whowe can hand over the documents?

Please advise

Many Thanks!
    There's a drop box, and you can just drop everything in there. No need for an appointment.

I don't know if you need an appointment if you want to talk to someone from the ROA department. There is an information desk you can just walk up to though, no appointment required.

Edit: BTW, Good luck! I'd be very interested to hear how this goes.
    Last edited by IceEagle; 08-06-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaird:

Please advise

Many Thanks!
    In case you wanted to book an appointment, you could do it here:

GovHK: Book Appointment to Apply for Hong Kong Smart Identity Card

Wouldn't hurt

ROP 145 application process -please help

Just mail them.
    You will have a case officer when they confirm receival of your app.by mail

In that or the following letter they will let you know what else they need. Without having submitted the app you will only get general answers

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Last edited by Morrison; 08-06-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icrazeei:
    In case you wanted to book an appointment, you could do it here:

GovHK: Book Appointment to Apply for Hong Kong Smart Identity Card

Wouldn't hurt
    He cant apply,that's after succesful Vepic

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks