Like Tree5Likes

Chinese citizen proving 7 years continuous residence in Hong Kong in the 1960s and 1970s

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Were you able to request past entry/exit records from the Immigration Department under a "Statement of Travel Records" request that went beyond 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by IceEagle:
    Has anyone else gone through the process of trying to prove 7 years continuous residence in Hong Kong (for a Chinese citizen born on the mainland) during the 1960s or 1970s? What does it take?

What happens if you don't have any paper documents from back then? Is there an HKSAR government agency somewhere that has records from back then?
    In the 1960s/70s, any Mainland Chinese citizen in Hong Kong was automatically granted permanent legal residence. It was called the 'touch base' policy. There was no requirement for 7 years. They were issued with green Hong Kong CID and HKID cards.

Therefore if you have any documentation showing you lived in Hong Kong in the 60s/70s, such as CID or HKID, surely that should be good enough to prove that you have ROA by virtue of entitlement under Hong Kong law back then? :-/
    Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BNOboy:

Therefore if you have any documentation showing you lived in Hong Kong in the 60s/70s, such as CID or HKID, surely that should be good enough to prove that you have ROA by virtue of entitlement under Hong Kong law back then? :-/
    this is only true if you have "re-acquire" a Chinese HKSAR passport in and around 97.
    Morrison likes this.

Chinese citizen proving 7 years continuous residence in Hong Kong in the 1960...

You guys are 牛B

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Were you able to request past entry/exit records from the Immigration Department under a "Statement of Travel Records" request that went beyond 10 years?
    Oddly enough, this was one of the records that was suggested by the Records department...

I didn't try this. I thought that the text, "Travel records earlier than preceding 10 years are not available." meant that for 2014, the oldest travel records available would be for 2004.

Should I attempt to obtain a Statement of Travel Records anyways? I suppose we don't have anything to lose by trying.

dossier likes this.

Actually, it turns out that ImmD did have copies of the records I needed after all, going back to the early 1960s.
    IceEagle: was the Immigration Department prepared to share those entry exit records with you from the 1960s, despite the statement that records beyond the last 10 years to date are not available from them?

I want to request my records from the 1990s from them, which is clearly beyond the last 10 years
    Last edited by dossier; 21-07-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Typo

is it possible for mainland chinese passport holders to naturalize to become a chinese-HKSAR passport holder? i mean, can i give up a chinese citizenship for another chinese citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    is it possible for mainland chinese passport holders to naturalize to become a chinese-HKSAR passport holder? i mean, can i give up a chinese citizenship for another chinese citizenship?
    Yes, as far as I understand it. For instance, a PRC citizen (PRC passport holder) who gains ROA in the HKSAR (usually through 7 years continuous ordinary residence) can opt for a HK Permanent Identity Card (i.e. ROA) and replace their PRC passport with an HKSAR Passport.
    dumbdonkey likes this.

Should I attempt to obtain a Statement of Travel Records anyways? I suppose we don't have anything to lose by trying.
    I ask, because I asked the Immigration Department generally about the Statement of Travel Records and was told:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail message.

If you intend to search for your travel records within ten years, you may consider applying for a "Statement of Travel Records". The "Statement of Travel Records" will indicate your movement records at Hong Kong immigration control points only.

You may request for the travel records of the last 10 years. Travel records not available :

a) Travel records exceeding 10 years;

b) Travel records of minor under 11 travelling on HK British Passports, HK Certificates of Identity or HK Re-entry Permits at all control points, except the airport, before 28-09-1995.

For details, please refer to:- Others | Immigration Department

I hope the above information is of assistance to you.

Regards,"