Like Tree7Likes

QMAS Approval in Principal received

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

QMAS Approval in Principal received

Hi All,

Fortunate for me just checked the results for 32nd Selection exercise and my number is on the list for AIP. Just confirmed that with immigration officer as well.

So now quick question is about how much time do I get to present myself before immigration officer after I receive my AIP letter?

Also how much time I get to plan my move to HK after the interview?

I am currently out of my country and would not be back for another 6 months. I would of course try to delay my in person interview by speaking to immigration officer. Anyone has any experience with this?

Congratulations on your visa.

The details will be spelt out on your AIP letter. You will have 3 months from the date of the letter to present yourself for the interview. Should be a mere formality where you present originals of your documentary evidence. It takes a few days for them to issue your QMAS visa stamp which you need to pick up from ImmD. You will then get a further 3 months to renter HK on your QMAS visa. Your 1st year of QMAS kicks off on the date of your re-entry, not the expiry date of the QMAS visa stamp.

You essentially have any time in that 1st year to establish your residence and take up employment in HK. You don't have to have been residing and working here the whole time but at the date of renewal of QMAS you need to show you have taken steps to settle in HK - job and are residing here (rental, utilities, MPF etc).

forhkqmas and shri like this.

Thanks for the reply! Does that mean I will have to travel back to HK to collect QMAS visa? Or can I ask someone else to collect on my behalf. If its couple of days I can of course stay over and collect.

Actually I just reread my post, my mistake, it's not a few days after that they issue the QMAS visa stamp, it's virtually on the spot after they have verified your evidence. So it's only just 1 visit to ImmD, say a couple of hours. So your first visit for the QMAS interview and collection of visa can be done in 1 day.

forhkqmas and QMASed like this.

Well to avoid 2 trips I can just go to Makao and comeback to get my new Visa activated? although that may reduce my time by 3months, but will save me one trip

Yes correct, you'll lose the extra 3 months. Personally I'd take the extra 3 months. Unless you're confident of getting a job quickly in HK you don't want your time away from HK eating out of your first year QMAS window. You can just walk out of immigration control to get your entry stamped and then walk back through.

forhkqmas likes this.

Received my AIP letter. Unfortunately it list USA as a required for police verification (Its a overlapping period between at the beginning of ten years). Checked FBI website, they take full 12weeks and plus mail time. That means I cannot go to HK in 3months

Also it required documents including finger prints etc. to be sent to FBI. So assuming it takes me 2 weeks to post them required forms, documents, it will be 15-16 weeks or 4 months before I receive FBI letter.

I might have to let go of HKQMAS if immigration officer does not agree to extend date.

I guess they need to give more time to appear for in person interview.

The Immigration officials may be flexible in this regard given it's a govt regulation that's making it difficult for to meet the 3 month deadline.

Suggest you call HK ImmD and explain the situation to the immigration officer. They may have already come across this problem for other US based QMAS applicants so might have a course of action or be ready to give you an extension.

forhkqmas and QMASed like this.

Hello All,

I have submitted my QMAS visa application in Sep.'14 and got the acknowledgement. When can I expect the next results. Pls let me know if anyone has information. Thanks

Hi, Yes I did approach Immigration officer. Initially I got 1 month extension. However I still did not receive my clearance from FBI. I have received another 1 month extension from immigration officer - total 2 months extension so far. Also I found help line number for FBI (which is not listed on their contact information)
    This will help anyone looking for status update on their criminal records check-

Criminal Justice Services Division (CJIS), Clarksburg, West Virginia at 304-625-5590 or 2000

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast