• 2 Post By Oldtimer
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

Visa options for parent

Visa options for parent

Hi

I am an Indian national, on a 1 year employment visa (my visa's valid till Sep 2015, but presumably will be renewed, since I am on a permanent employment contract here in HK).
    I have a 63 year old mother, alone back in India, who I'd like to have living with me in HK.
    I understood from enquiring at Immigration that the only way for her to come to HK is
    - on the 14-day on-arrival visa, or
    - a visitor visa (long stay) for upto 3 months
    She cannot get a dependent visa because dependent visas are only for spouse and kids (unless the sponsor is an HK permanent resident - which I am not)

My questions:
    1. Is there any way I can get my mother to live with me for more than 3 months?
    2. Is the visitor visa (long stay) truly limited to 3 months, or has anyone heard of longer terms (like 6 months - 1 year) depending on the case?

Many thanks for any guidance.

You will need to keep renewing the visitor visa every 3 months is probably your best chance.

contactcharles likes this.

Thanks.

Do you know if HK immigration would indefinitely keep renewing a visitor visa? (i.e. anyone else you've heard of going down this route?)

In any case, can she renew her visitor visa, while she's still in HK (i.e. before the 3 months are up)?
    That way, at the end of 3 months, she'd just have do a quick exit and re-entry (maybe via Macau), rather than actually flying back to India at the end of 3 months and waiting several weeks for a renewed visa, and flying back to HK.

FYI, I'm also trying to get an agent, but appreciate any guidance you may have.

Normally they will give you one extension only.
    Agents cannot help you. You will be wasting your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    Normally they will give you one extension only.
    Agents cannot help you. You will be wasting your money.
    They may even make the situation worse. Compassion is given to individuals, not agents.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I have heard of 3-month extensions, which must be done at ImmD Tower, not by doing a visa run. But there is no guarantee one would be issued and, if one were issued, there is no guarantee that it could be reissued and reissued. You will have always worry that is won't be extended every time you go to ImmD.

Yah dont waste money on agents. extension of visa is done in HK Immigration, no need to exit HK, they just stick a new sticker in the passport.

Like Claire said above, your at the mercy of the Immigration officer, You will need to kiss his/her ass every time

Thanks guys! Will try and do this without an agent, if they don't add any value.