Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pat_togo

VISA for self employed internet business owner?

Closed Thread

VISA for self employed internet business owner?

Hello,

I’m half Irish and half Swiss, I hold passports of both countries. I am turning 30 years old in December.
    I have been self employed for over 5 years. I own an online business, which is 100% online based (web development, web design, SEO), so I can work from anywhere in the world.
    My personal earnings are around 6000-7000 EUR per month (60,000 - 70,000 HKD / month).

I’m currently on holidays here in Hong Kong and I love it here. I was wondering, that if I would apply for a visa, what kind of options do I have as a self employed person?

Is there even an option for someone like me or totally out of the question?

Kind regards,
    Aedan

You have three options.
    1. Set up a Hong Kong company, pay yourself from it and get a business visa. Hard but not impossible - particularly if you employ some locals and have a real company with real earnings and a decent future.
    2. An investment visa. Speak to InvestHK (google them) - its a government organisation that helps people invest in HK. Again, basically means you have to bring a bunch of money to HK and set up a business. For new businesses may be slightly easier to get than the work visa.
    3. QMAS - a visa for "quality migrants". You have to get a number of points, apply, and it takes about a year. Helps to be a native English speaker (or native Chinese speaker) and have some skills and higher education. Tough route, takes a long time.

I would speak to InvestHK, if they are open next week.

One more option, marry a Hong Kong resident. Even one on work visa.

When you say self-employed, do you run it under a structured company (with yearly financial reports, separate company bank account from which you pay yourself a monthly salary etc.) or just receive payments directly under your personal account without any corporate entity involved? Your chances for an investment visa would be higher if you have an existing company with proven history and financial data.

A working visa is probably not an option for you at this point if you are to set up a new company in Hong Kong. As the company principal the investment visa is what you need to apply for.

shri likes this.

You can also apply to the said "start up visa". Yoy basically need around 500 000 hkd (sometimes less) on your bak account, a business plan showing that you will participate to HK economy and plan to hire locals and a business address. It is not too hard to get but it can take 6 months (8 weeks if you are very lucky and well prepared)

Hello,

Thank you so much for all the answers. I am here until Friday and if possible, I would like to talk to someone official that can give me some more details. Where would be the best way to go get such information?

Back in Ireland I am registered as a sole-trader with a business name, meaning that it's not very structured entity. For me in Ireland that is the best option, since it's very uncomplicated and I am just working on my own.

Anyway, if someone could maybe tell me if there is some kind of government information office I could drop by to get such information, to see what visa I would best most suitable for, that would be great.

Kind regards,
    Aedan

Speak to InvestHK as advised by HK Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by Aedan:
    Hello,

Thank you so much for all the answers. I am here until Friday and if possible, I would like to talk to someone official that can give me some more details. Where would be the best way to go get such information?

Back in Ireland I am registered as a sole-trader with a business name, meaning that it's not very structured entity. For me in Ireland that is the best option, since it's very uncomplicated and I am just working on my own.

Anyway, if someone could maybe tell me if there is some kind of government information office I could drop by to get such information, to see what visa I would best most suitable for, that would be great.

Kind regards,
    Aedan

Send an email to investHK they are very quick to answer or better go there in person.