from belgium to HK to China - which travel docs?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't think you'd really have a problem using a foreign passport to enter HK, even if you have ROA.

But if you are worried, apply for a HKSAR passport at your closest Chinese embassy/consulate, this will give you an ID card as well, and you can use these documents to enter HK without a hassle for sure.

However it'll take many weeks to process.

Quote Originally Posted by absentmind:
    My mother said if I enter HK with Belgian passport it could raise questions when i go apply for the new HK ID since it would show in the records.

So now I'm thinking to try get a HK Re-entry Permit with my old children HK ID (really old the kind with no photo) at the Chinese ambassy in Belgium. But I kinda doubt if this will work otherwise I'll need to get visa with my Belgian passport to enter China.

Hah... all this crap is so complicated. -_-
    Question: do you have a HK passport as well? I'm guessing no as you otherwise could enter HK on the passport. So assuming you only have a Belgian passport, immigration would already "know" you are holding a foreign passport and have no problem at all with it. Remember HKID is very different from nationality (country of your passport). There are millions of people with a permanent three-star HKID while holding a foreign pasport.

Hairball: It takes 4-6 weeks to get it done, not to mention the costs, even if i get it done it's just a temporary HK id and i'll have to do it all over again in HK. I considered it but I won't do it, it's a waste of time and money.

Gatts: No, my last HK passport expired years ago and without hk id I can't renew it. And I checked the website with the expiry dates of the old HK ID's. Apparently mine should still be valid untill 30 november this year (if I didn't interpret wrong). So I'm gonna take my chances at the HK airport with old HK ID.
    It's the China entry that bothers me most.
    Even though I called the China Consulate here several times, nobody picks up. I mean, do they ever work?!

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Regarding HK immigration and multiple passports/ID: I have both Canadian and HK passports, and have used both to enter HK on different occassions, so immigration knows I have 2 passports, and they never gave me problems except for this time when I was leaving HK after being here for 6 months and I had entered HK with my canadian passport, which only allows me to stay for 90 days. They took me aside to question me, but then I showed them my HK passport and they let me go.

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 07-09-2008 at 10:53 PM.