* and *** before 1997

Closed Thread

* and *** before 1997

Just some very interesting info that I found on this from an earlier post on here. Currently, * and *** mean the right to a Hong Kong re-entry permit, mainly for Chinese citizens, and non-Chinese citizens who can't get any other travel document like a passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirveebilbao:
    I found this text on the site of legco, about the "***" symbol on the identity cards. I believe the requirements have changed in 1997 from persons from "chinese race" to persons of "chinese nationality".

Hong Kong Permanent Identity Cards are issued to persons who have the right of abode in Hong Kong. The categories of persons who are Hong Kong permanent residents are defined in Schedule 1 to the Immigration Ordinance (Cap. 115). Any of these persons who has attained the age of 18 years or over and who is eligible for Hong Kong Re-entry Permit facilities is also eligible to have the "***" symbol endorsed on his or her Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card. Holders of Hong Kong Permanent Identity Cards with the "***" symbol may apply for deletion of the symbol if they so wish. They will not be required to give any reason for their applications.

It should, however, be noted that the "***" symbol has no bearing on the holder's right of abode in Hong Kong or his or her national status. Persons who are not Hong Kong permanent residents can also possess identity cards with the "***" symbol.

The "***" symbol was created in the 1983 Identity Card Re-issue Exercise. It simply denotes that the holder is of the age of 18 years or over and is eligible for a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit. The Hong Kong Re-entry Permit is a document issued to facilitate travel to and from China and/or Macau. The following persons are eligible for a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit:

(i) persons wholly or partly of Chinese race who have either acquired the right of abode in Hong Kong or been granted unconditional stay in Hong Kong; and

(ii) persons not of Chinese race who have been granted unconditional stay in Hong Kong but cannot obtain national passports and do not hold travel documents of any countries or other regions.

With the implementation of the Easy Travel Scheme in 1987, holders of Hong Kong Identity Cards with the "***" symbol are exempted from producing Hong Kong Re-entry Permits or other travel documents at Hong Kong immigration control points for journeys to and from all places including China and Macau.

The procedure for both types of applications is the same. The applicant will be required to apply in person with a duly completed application form, and to have his thumbprint and photograph taken for the production of a new identity card. The processing time for an application for addition or deletion of the "***" symbol is 15 working days.

source(search in the doc for ***):

http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr96-97/engl...d/961127fe.doc
    BUT, it seems pretty clear that the meaning of this has changed since the handover in 1997. Basically before that point, anyone that looks Chinese can get this, and I imagine with it you can also get the home return permit for the mainland. I imagine the people that still had * and *** would continue to have it, and this is sort of being taken as a de facto representation of Chinese citizenship, when it isn't necessarily.

The fact you can get the asterisks added or deleted at your leisure back then is very, very interesting.
    Last edited by Hairball; 17-10-2014 at 03:33 AM.

The meaning of the stars is explained on HK Immis website.

So are nationality matters.

If you first time apply for a passport holding 3 stars ID,
    the relevant dept will still check your file from ID dept and make sure you are a Chinese national

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    The meaning of the stars is explained on HK Immis website.

So are nationality matters.

If you first time apply for a passport holding 3 stars ID,
    the relevant dept will still check your file from ID dept and make sure you are a Chinese national
    Yes, but it says what it means right now, I was interested in what it meant historically.

Even in the perspective in myself, I was a BDTC before 1997, if I had registered and did VEPIC before the handover, I can presumably get the * or *** added on my ID card because I am ethnically Chinese (though not a Chinese citizen), and probably that is good enough to get the home return permit back then, and presumably I can probably even still renew it, although if I applied for a HKSAR passport I likely be refused.

While most of those with the asterisk were probably Chinese citizens, there are many that are not that may have been still lumped in, which explains some of the discrepancies we've read about here.

Last edited by Hairball; 17-10-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:
    Even in the perspective in myself, I was a BDTC before 1997, if I had registered and did VEPIC before the handover, I can presumably get the * or *** added on my ID card because I am ethnically Chinese (though not a Chinese citizen), and probably that is good enough to get the home return permit back then, and presumably I can probably even still renew it, although if I applied for a HKSAR passport I likely be refused.

While most of those with the asterisk were probably Chinese citizens, there are many that are not that may have been still lumped in, which explains some of the discrepancies we've read about here.
    Someone on this forum stated that if you are not a Chinese citizen with ROA and had applied for a juvenile ID card, then you would have 3 stars on your current ID.

From what you have said, I take it that anyone who is of Chinese race, and had an ID card before the handover, had * or ***. After the handover, IMMI just kept it there, which explains why so many ABCs and BBCs have ***'s, but are unable to apply for a SAR passport. Hmm this kinda gels together... and something else to add to your website!